Skip to main content

Cooking Through My CSA Box

This is the second week of our 20 week CSA harvest, and these first two weeks have been abundant. That's an understatement. We share a Veggie Lover Box and 50% of it is more than enough for our family for one week. It's amazing to think that some families could eat all that's in there in one week! This week we received: mizuna, spring onions, purple onions, turnips, radishes, strawberries, swiss chard, butter lettuce, kohlrabi, cilantro, mint, chives, kale, and a spring lettuce mix. Anyway, I spent most of the afternoon cooking away the greens so that I could save them for dishes later in the week, and also for freezing (spinach). I recently found these directions helpful for a quick cook, called a blanch, but find that I'm just as happy to saute, cool, and bag.
It's funny, I never considered myself a cook, I rarely follow a recipe *unless it's gluten-free* and just toss things together as I'm inspired by (or out of) a certain ingredient! I remember that I learned how to make scrambled eggs the day my husband and I got married, as my mother and her best friend laughed wildly at the funny wife I was to become. I'm just about the best scrambled egg maker this side of the Mississippi. It was make it or break it.
I've always loved hand-work like embroidery, knitting, sewing, and photography--developing prints myself in my home-made dark room. But a cook? No, it's just by necessity. Even last year, as our first try at this whole 'community supported agriculture' thing, and then our 1.5 year stint as vegetarians, and of course all the while being allergic to gluten... let's just say I've had my share at trial and error.
This afternoon, though, I exhaled as I sauteed, and was pleasantly smiling to myself my creative burst of cooking turnip greens for later in the week. I think I can finally admit it out loud. We're foodies. I'm a foodie. Of course I love to eat food (is there anyone out there who DOESN'T?), but I realize, making new things in the kitchen is just another outlet of my creative arm's-reach. And I'm kind of happy about that. Now for the break-down of how the above foods will be used up.
***
This week we'll be making:
  • Turnip fries with all those bulbous beauties. (Thanks A + J for the suggestion!)
  • Swiss Chard Mac N Cheese (tried and true from last year's CSA cookin')
  • Fried Rice, my own recipe, with added cooked mizuna and ginger
  • Kale Chips.
  • The most delicious salsa EVER using up those radishes.
  • And pretty much a salad at every meal ;)
What will you be making this week?

Comments

oobbles said…
We just threw some of the last of our unidentified greens (very spinach like) into the lentils I just cooked up (like a dal). If we get more kale, I'm making http://www.food52.com/recipes/2434_one_pot_kale_and_quinoa_pilaf The radishes I just snacked on, and gave some to my mom. I'm like you- I cook with what I have. I'm not afraid to chop up anything and toss it into whatever I'm making.

Popular posts from this blog

How To: DIY Sand/Water Table

How To: Build A Sand/Water Table for Under $30 ! Sorry this took me so long to blog, but I had to have a tool list and full instructions before I could do so. A little history on my love for the sand/water table . I love the idea behind tools for tiny hands, i.e. the Montessori Method , and like to have Lukka 'figure things out for himself', even when he is playing. I try to have the most simple and basic toys available for 3 reasons: a) simple toys generally have less parts, which means less of a hassle for me b) simple toys inspire way more creativity and imagination than do 'exact replica' toys c) they are much more aesthetically pleasing to look at, therefore, not making every nook and cranny of our house an eyesore! I know the last reason is just for me, but it's true. Plastic things don't generally last 1/2 as long as wooden or fabric toys, and they are unattractive. For this reason, I started to look for a wooden sand/water table as opposed to a pl...

{This Moment}

Join as we savor moments to remember from the week.

We've Gone and Done It

We are in the midst of packing up, and moving. Not just any move, but The Move we've been trying to accomplish for years now. We're heading up to (Washington) Canada. In the last couple of months Stefan had been talking to a potential employer up in Richmond, British Columbia , and after a very swift interview process they offered him the job. Small and large details aside, he accepted and plans to start on February 25th. We leave one week earlier, on the 18th. That's literally just over 2 weeks from when you will read this. We told family and close friends first, and while we haven't been keeping it a huge secret, our church, as a whole, did not know until last night because it was then we could tell everyone at our seasonal congregational meeting what our plans were in person, and with many of them all at once. I didn't want to say anything online until that happened. We've been steadily spending heaps of time with friends and family, all while slowly p...