Skip to main content

February Titles // 2018

a walk from December in Tsawwassen

Not every month can be a great reading month (like last month!) but I'm in the middle of three good books not listed here, so watch out for March being title-heavy agian. Here's what I got to in the shortest month.

*The Child Finder by Rene Denfeld - It's been a long time since I read a fiction book in 2 days, but this was a total page-turner. It's our March book club pick, and everyone I've chatted with has said the same thing-they read it quickly and really liked it even though the topic is very heavy (yes, child abduction). The premise is that the Child Finder is a lady who has a successful time finding missing children because she herself was a 'lost child'. I'm not giving any more away but it's a shorter book-under 300 pages-and completely worth the read at 4 stars. 

*Full by Asheritah Ciuciu - This was a book I'd seen awhile back and just plopped it onto my amazon wish list so I'd remember it later. When I found out that Blaine's library carried it, I put a hold on it. It's a book about food issues and how one's spirituality and Christian perspective fits into all that. It was a solid 2.5-3 stars. I've read a few books like this and I'm just never overly satisfied. It's a total niche book, but could be helpful to some. 

*Love Unending by Becky Thompson - This was a spur of the moment grab at the library because it was early February, and this book was about loving your spouse well and remembering who you both were pre-marriage/kids/life circumstance that made things difficult. I liked this book not necessarily for the writing but for the idea that came with each chapter and the specific prayer that ended it. So while we don't celebrate Valentine's day, it was sort of a way to pursue praying for Stefan and my relationship in specific ways that I probably wouldn't have thought of on my own. Again, maybe 2.5-3 stars. Definitely decent.

Read Alouds with Kids

*Sophie Mouse #12: Journey to Crystal Cave by Poppy Green - Ani and I love reading the "Sophie Mouse" books and can finish them in one sitting because the words are huge and each page has at least 1/2 of it covered with cute illustrations. These books would be excellent for readers just beginning chapter books. This one is the story of Sophie and her friends discovering a crystal cave and what-or who-lies inside. Saccharine sweet, but fun to just indulge in with Ani when a new one comes out!

*Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire (#4) by JK Rowling - Of course with every new HP book, the kids get more into the story, and can't wait for the next one and that happened with Goblet. This is my favorite book in the series because it's where the story becomes much deeper and more sophisticated. The TriWizard tournament is a contest between three wizarding schools and the tasks, new teachers, and wizarding community-wide events keep this as a page-turner and a long rabbit hole. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron