Skip to main content

October Titles // 2018

thinking back to buckets and buckets of peonies in late summer!

 We've had a gorgeous Fall, with sunny skies, bright changing colors, and the rain was practically non-existent (except the one week my friends were here! ugh).  While some people despise the earlier dark, I relish it. The next three months is when I really hunker down, hibernate, slow our lives down significantly and just enjoy quiet, home, and rest. I recognize my seasonal ways and after very full Springs, Summers, and Fall craziness, I'm 100% on board with very little happening. Let the book season begin! 

We've had a gorgeous Fall, with sunny skies, bright changing colors, and the rain was practically non-existent (except the one week my friends were here! ugh).  While some people despise the earlier dark, I relish it. The next three months is when I really hunker down, hibernate, slow our lives down significantly and just enjoy quiet, home, and rest. I recognize my seasonal ways and after very full Springs, Summers, and Fall craziness, I'm 100% on board with very little happening. Let the book season begin! 

*Peace Like a River by Lief Enger - This was our book club's pick for October and I can say without hesitating--in my top 10 of all time favorites. The writing is gorgeous, funny, clever (reminiscent of Gilead, my fav. book) and the plot moves the story along. There's a bit of magical realism, a dash of scandal, and some incredible characters. Absolutely 5 stars. 

*How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & How to Listen so Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish - I always have a parenting book going, and this month's was so so good. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has or care gives for children. Even if there's nothing 'wrong' in your relationship, it's just an all-around practical read on communicating with kids. A solid 1/3 of the book is drawn in comic form as examples. I was told about this book by a friend who was going to use it in a prison ministry she volunteers for, and the day I finished it, I bought their other popular book, Siblings Without Rivalry

*New Poets of Native Nations edited by Heid E. Erdrich - I read this anthology slowly, over the course of the month which is how I prefer to read poetry. I really enjoyed that each poet had a brief bio before their poetry, to give context to the language and the place they were (often, but not always) writing about. I have a few more poetry books coming down the line that are on order at the library that I'm looking forward to, and a signed Kooser (Kindest Regards) I picked up in Seward, NE's great little indie bookstore, Chapters,  when I was there last. 


Read Alouds 

*Sophie Mouse & the SilverLake Art Show by Poppy Green - I read these adorable little chapter books in one sitting, usually, to Ani and thankfully she has not declared herself too old for it yet. We both enjoy the sweet story and cutesy illustrations. I think you can buy a 6 or 8 pack of them at Costco! This was #13 and I've already got #14 on order at the library. 

*Tricks My Dog Taught Me by Phil Calloway - This was our 'devotional' book for the first two months of school, and although I think my son enjoyed it, Ani didn't as much. It is technically not written for children, but the premise of the little essay book is learning from dogs what they can teach you about God. Some of the stories were a bit too over their head but for the most part Lukka thought they were both funny and interesting. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron