Skip to main content

May Titles // 2019

just a few of this month's reads!

This month was sort of a red letter one--I can't believe all that I got to read in just 31 days. Thankfully, a few of these reads were very short (I'm looking at you Juliet and Mary Ventura), but mostly I just plodded on through one chapter per day with the others (so many holds all at once!) to finish them all in a timely manner. That worked very well, especially as most of these wouldn't be page turners or ones I could sit with for long. It's a long list so let's get to it!

*Attachments by Rainbow Rowell - I LOVE Rowell's work and always sneak one of her super fun YA page turners in when I'm downright tired. This was a funny and interesting little love story that I connceted with because I know the place. Rowell is from Omaha and so I can see in my mind's eye exactly where she's talking about even if she isn't 'talking about it' with real names. The bands playing at the Sokol? I've been there for tons of concerts. The donut shop nearby? I got a bit misty eyed when it closed just this past year. Anyway, the story is written 50% in email format as a chat going back and forth between two friends, which is really fun. Three hundred and fifty pages flew by. 

*The Alchemist by Paul Coelho - This was MY book club pick and although we have yet to discuss it, I'm really glad that I picked a book I had wanted to read for awhile and that it was short and accessible. It's a story about a boy named Santiago who goes on a personal quest to find his treasure and purpose. It's an allegory but it was an enjoyable story to read, as well. 

*The Moment of Lift by Melinda Gates - This might be my favorite nonfiction pick of the month. It tells about the Gates' foundation (and Melinda's work within) and how they came to support each individual topics that all relate to women's health. She's a gifted writer and slips in stories of her time before Bill and their marital equality struggles just as easily as she talks about her own change of heart between her faith and women's reproductive health. It's an informative look at a broad range of women's topics, told with compassion, researched thoroughly, and solution-based.

*Mary Ventura and the Ninth Kingdom by Sylvia Plath - I just happened upon this happy chance at the library when I saw it on the New rack! I didn't even know she had another book published pothumously, but lo and behold, a new novella that was recently uncovered. It's very different-sort of a (longer) short story told about a girl who can't get off a train that eventually leads to hell. Same Plath story, different way of getting there. 

*The Brave Learner by Julie Bogart - This book is by fun and boistrous podcaster and writing extroadinare, Julie Bogart, creator of Brave Writer. She is one o the most encouraging voices on the veteran homeschooling circuit and for good reason --she is everyone's champion. This was her first traditionally published book (I think), stating her homeschooling philosophy and breaking it down in managable pieces and giving practical ideas in the meantime. I'm glad I also own this one because I'm sure I'll go back to it again. This was another I read a chapter (or section) per day as it wasn't a page-turner (I'm tired from the homeschooling year!).

*Introverted Mom by Jamie C. Martin  - This book is written by a favorite blogger of mine, about being an introvert while parenting and homeschooling her three children. I read this as a chapter per day...it's not one I'd just sit down and read. I didn't find anything new inside but I did appreciate the quotes in the back from other introvert moms with how they answer a specific question that related to the chapter. I thought it was okay. 

*Juliet's School of Possibilities by Laura Vanderkam - I will basically read anything Vanderkam writes, and this was her first fiction book. It takes her nonfiction work (time management) to another degree and teaches about priorities in the form of a story. I don't know that most people who like her work would really get anything out of it (it's fairly simplistic, but the writing is decent), but I can see how it'd be more helpful for those who are in a business setting book club, or wouldn't ever be the type to pick up one of her nonfiction reads. 

*Raising World Changers in a Changing World by Kristen Welch - I think I heard about this book awhile back on a podcast, and have had it on my amazon wish list ever since. Our school bought it for me (among other books) for me to do a bit of research on how we lessen the 'entitled' symptom many of us see in our kids. This book has some really beautiful stories involving her kids, but at times it did feel a bit much, like if I'm not doing x, y, and z, then I should recheck my priorities. I am already someone who overcommits to my own detriment (the constant battle of my life, seemingly) and I don't actually think that was her intention, just my own projection. I really enjoyed the part at the end of each chapter with her kids answering questions. I am glad I read it and might try to re- read it again in a few months.

*Be With by Forrest Gander - I saw this on the Pulitzer winner list, and quickly put it on hold. There were a few poems throughout that I really liked but the rest felt way over my head. I couldn't make the connections as easily as I have with other poets' work. I'm not looking for the ease of Ted Kooser in everything, but this book was supposed to be about death and I really didn't know that until I read the review! The end result: I didn't get it. 

Read Aloud with Kids

*Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat - This is one of those random books you pick up because of the vintage cover, and happen upon a delightful book the entire family is enjoying and laughing through. It's a story based on the author's growing up. He's a nature lover, and happens upon two owls (at different times)  as they are young owlets and raises them. Well worth the read. 

*Island Kids by Tara Saracuse - This is the second installment of BC history written through children's eyes (see also: Vancouver Kids) that we read and thoroughly enjoyed. We found out that each of the books in this series have different authors but that didn't interrupt the tone or framework, which we both enjoyed. These are true stories about kids who have lived or still live on Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands. My kids and I both really have enjoyed them and it's been a really nice way to learn local history at the same time. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron