Skip to main content

September - October Titles // 2020

 

Canoeing down Pitt River in Pitt Meadows 

This is a good spot to stop you---before I'm even ahead-- and tell you that by putting off the reflecting on these books before months have passed, that I don't remember all the details now. When I talk about a book with someone, I can typically remember the general jist, whether I liked it or not, and how I *felt* reading it (or completing it). This is what I can offer you right now, in these reviews. Some, I will not remember much detail, but the jist. 

The Tradition by Jericho Brown - This book of poetry was a 2020 Pulitzer Prize winner, so I knew I wanted to check it out after I heard Brown on the On Being podcast and was entranced by his conversation. I remember liking this book of poetry but not loving it. It was mostly about the body, and it's connection to the world in many different ways. 

Master of None by Jordan Raynor - This is the second book of Raynor's that I've read, and I enjoyed both of them. I had my local library purchase both, and I hope that a few other people will pick up the gorgeously designed book. It's worth a perusal if you're feeling stuck in your current situation, or just want to figure out how to pursue the next chapter of your life with purpose and intentionality. 

The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes - This was a book club pick, and a fun novel full of 1930s sassy female librarians from deep Kentucky who braved all sorts of weather (and people!) to deliver books to some of the country's poorest and isolated on horseback. It was a book that although I found very predictable, I found it really fun and enjoyable to read. 

 Trailer Trash Chaplain  by Laurel Lafout - This short book was written by a friend that I was thrilled to finally read after she told me so much about it! It's a memoir about the few years she has lived and reno-ed a home in a trailer park, and it's funny, it's sad, it's a bit unnerving, and it's full of grace and love for one's neighbor. 

Becoming by Michelle Obama - I had to borrow this from the library at least three times before I was actually able to finish it-not because I wasn't interested, but because I couldn't finish it in two weeks (it's 400+ pages) and it was constantly on hold by others! This was her memoir from birth up until the transition of her husband, Barak Obama, out of the white house after serving 8 years as president. It was fascinating and I was surprised by the quality of writing and really enjoyed her reflections on a life lived thus far. 

Letters from as Astrophysicist by Neil DeGrasse Tyson - Here was another short little book by Neil DeGrasse Tyson that was almost like a Q&A; it was separated by topic and included letters from either 10 or 20 years of his work, from all ages and places writing to him, and his answers. If you're into his work on the Cosmos, definitely check this one out. 

Be the Bridge by LaTasha Morrison - Morrison's book and work exploded this year within white communities as it gave people (including me) a biblical framework for understanding and pursuing racial equality after the Black Lives Matter protests that were a central focus of this year. Morrison's "Be the Bridge" educational materials range from 101 to Transracial Adoption to group mentorships. It's a fantastic book and organization that I'd encourage everyone to check out. 

Read-Aloud to Kids 

A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle -  This was the second book in L'Engle's Time Quintet, after  A Wrinkle in Time, and instead of going through the entire expanse of space, this book focuses on the minutiae of specifics within a single cell in a human body-Charles Wallace's body-to be exact. This book introduces new characters including Progo, a cherubim, and we get to know Mr. Jenkins', CW's principle.
We'll be taking a break from the Time Quintet until the end of the school year, but we'll pick right back up in late May.   

The Golden Bull by Marjorie Cowley - This book was the first novel we did together for the kids' homeschool this year, fusing Socials and Literature together like we (almost always) do. This story was about two children who have to live desperate day-to-day lives in the ancient city of Ur, in ancient Mesopotamia. The work produced in the book is based on a real 5,000 year old Lyre of Ur with the head of a bull on it. The kids thought it was predictable, but still enjoyable, though they liked learning about lyre and the bas-relief of the ancient city more. 

Landmark: The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt by Elizabeth Payne - This was a nonfiction title the kids and I read together about the dynasties of the ancient pharaohs of Egypt; what led to their accomplishments, their power, and finally, their destruction. Although I found it fascinating, my kids found some of the chapters incredibly long and somewhat dull. Sigh. I wanted to be an archaeologist when I was  a kid (truly, until about high school), and always loved learning about ancient Egypt, so this was up my alley. Unfortunately, it was not necessarily the same for them, though they did enjoy learning about the discovery of King Tut's tomb by Howard Carter. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron