Skip to main content

November - December Titles // 2020

 

The Christmas book bin next to the tree

As I'm finally getting down to the wire to create any last blog posts about book titles and whatever else, I'm realizing that although I felt I didn't read as much (and my Completed amount says so), I realize I did still manage to finish quite a bit of reading even though it was about 40 titles short compared to other years. I'm okay with that; 2020, the year of unmet expectations!

The lost focus was real.  Did any of you experience the inability to read deeply this year? Or did you plunge into the hobby ever-deeper, reading more than you would in a normal year because there was so little to do outside our homes? I hope it was the latter! 

The Color of Compromise by Jamar Tisby -  This was probably the most interesting and important book I read all year. It's a look at the Christian church in America's complicity role in racism throughout American history. It. Was. Fascinating. Tisby is a Christian who presents the reader with an astounding breadth of research and walks the audience through each time period, and the church's role in it. I feel every Christian living in the US would benefit from reading this book. 

Canadian Geographic Nov-Dec. 2020 - I always add these because they take me a few hours and I read them cover to cover. I love learning about Canada's natural landscape, and the people in it. It still feels a bit like a novelty that I live here. I used to love reading National Geographic magazine as a kid.  People, history, flora, and fauna are so interesting to me, and this ticks all those boxes, and puts a lot of things into context for me about where I currently live. 

Made to Move Mountains by Kristen Welch - This was a book I picked up because I liked Welch's previous books, Raising World Changers, and Raising Grateful Kids, but this one was a bit of a miss for me. Welch is the founder of Mercy House, a non profit that aims to help teen moms with pairing sustainable fair-trade work. It's a fantastic ministry, but this book just didn't feel as fluid as her others, though perhaps I just read it at the wrong time. 

Wade in the Water by Tracy K. Smith - This book was the second book of poetry that Smith, a Pulitzer prize winner, wrote, and a bit out of my league. I didn't understand a lot of the poems in this book, and I don't know if that's because of my lost pandemic-focus, or because they were just over my head. I'm perfectly fine accepting that this one was a miss for me, as far as poetry goes. It happens. 

The Advent of the Lamb of God by Russ Ramsey - Every year I follow a book through Advent, and this was the book for 2020's Advent. I would say this book would be excellent for a person who has never formally gone through Advent at all, but wants to learn. It was not meaty enough for me, like Hallelujah was last year. It's more of a quick reading, followed by a 2-3 page 'visualization' of context for the reading. I didn't love it, but I thought it was okay. 

The Utter Relief of Holiness by John Elderidge - I have always liked Elderidge's books in the past, though in the past few years had really stopped following him and his wife, Stasi's book writing. I saw a newsletter with this book in it, and wanted to look into it. It's very conversational, and a bit radical for how the church preaches and I'm on board with that. It's a very easy read, with a solid message. I have a few books now to catch up on... 


Read-Aloud to Kids 

The Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGraw - This was our last school book of the year as a read-aloud, and thankfully, one with plenty of action that the kids enjoyed. It completes our Ancient Egypt section of history, and was really good for my kids' ages (11, and 13) as it didn't shy away from abuse and danger, but the main character, Ranofer, always upheld his integrity even when it would have served him to not do so. If you or your kid likes Ancient History, especially Egypt, this gives great details of the time (the city of Thebes) of daily life and special occasions. 

A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig - Every year we read a short novel or two over Christmas break together, and this one I found via Read Aloud Revival's Christmas book list. It was quite entertaining; the story behind how Santa Claus came to be, from boyhood to Elfhelm and in his later years, giving gifts around the world. Odd in the way that Roald Dahl or Lewis Carrol would be odd (there's a Truth Fairy who likes to see people's heads explode), but fitting and satisfactory for a Christmas read!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron