Skip to main content

July + August Titles // 2021



Well, it appears that my July post wasn't even thought about until mid-August, which is why I'm combining another two months of book lists. I had a decent reading summer, an even better thrift-store book-score, and I'm hoping a relatively relaxed Fall with many hours spent with a book in my lap (edit: It's mid-September and I'm trying not to breathe into a paper bag about my Fall...).
So far, our homeschool planning is busy, but only one evening a week out fully. That's good odds! Now for the book blurbs...

July

*Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle - This is my second read-through of one of L'Engle's first Crosswicks Journals memoirs, and I read it along with Joy Clarkson's patreon group. I love how Clarkson teased out some themes in each section, and it was fun to read it with a very vocal group who would always put their thoughts on the message board. 
This book is really about L'Engle's theolgy, living at Crosswicks (their summer house), parenting, rejection, and ponderings rolled into a 200 page book. It's one of my favorites of her, but it's not really thematic, so unless you're okay with summer-time meanderings, this book may bore you a bit. This is the type of book I call 'beach reads'. 


*Piranesi by Susannah Clarke - I really wanted to read this book after Joy Clarkson (yes, same lady as above) was talking about it in a magazine she writes for. It was intriguing to me, and because Clarkson's background education is the arts, literature, and theology, I knew from the way she talked about it, it'd be right up my alley. Listening to her summer podcast about each chapter (start from the bottom!) was a gift to help understand all the tidbits around Piranesi and something I truly looked forward to each week in June and July. 
I'm not going to lie, this book is exceptionally unique. I hesitate to recommend it to too many people, but if you're someone who loves literature--especially high brow-- and can glom on to the many references of history and literature throughout this book, you.will.love.it. In fact, once I finished it, I made the statement to my husband that Clarke (author) may actually win a Pulitzer for it. She did just win a very large women's prize for fiction in the UK for it. 


*Canadian Geographic July/Aug. issue - I read these regularly cover to cover and love to learn all about the geography, history, and culture of Canada. There is so much I don't know about this place--even the province I'm in--and I love seeing the gorgeous landscape that graces the pages, or reading about people (past and present) and their stories of Canadian culture. It's like national geographic, but instead of global stories, it focuses only within the boundaries of Canada. 

Read-Alouds

*Piggle-Wiggle Magic by  Betty MacDonald - This title was the 4th we've read in the Piggle-Wiggle series, but I think it may be our last unless I decide to buy the final book in the series that we have yet to read. They are hard to find locally, and although they are extremely funny, my kids are growing out of them a bit. 
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is a little old lady that spends her days helping clueless parents resolve their children's problems with humor, entertainment, and a bit of magic. If you have kids 6-12, that is the prime audience for this series. My kids will never forget about the girl who wouldn't take a bath she got so dirty she could grow radishes in her hair! 

*The Adventures of Sophie Mouse: The Ladybug Party by Poppy Green - I read this book aloud to Ani, as we've read all the easy chapter books in the series and this is the most current (17!). We get them from our library and they take roughly 40 minutes to read all the way through. They are sweet and gentle, have the same group of good friends, a simple plot that ends in a sweet way. They are like reading cotton candy without the toothache. 


August

*Letters to Malcolm by C.S. Lewis - This was a short but meaty little book written in the vein of letters to a friend about a conversation about prayer. It's presented in a unique way but answers both theological questions, post-modern reflections about the topic, and a bit of humor. C.S. Lewis is a master of melding theology into story form (or just nonfiction essays!) to help the 'average Joe' understand the big ideas of the Christian faith. Although I find it a bit harder to comb through Letters to Malcolm than, say, Mere Christianity, I thought it a good and worthwhile read. 


*The Finnish Way by Katja Pantzar   - Thus continues my fascinating with Scandanavian culture and health ideologies. This book was about Finland and mental health, and how so many cultural activities (biking everywhere, "cold dips", sauna, etc.) are like a treat here in North America, but a way to proactively maintain good mental health and physical wellness there. I love going for cold dips (swimming for a short time in frigid water) because the rush of endorphins you feel when you're done is pretty incredible. It's exchanging a small amount of time where you're extremely uncomfortable, for a large amount of time of really good rewards. 


*July by Kathleen Ossip - This was a poetry book I finished, and ended up liking a lot better than her other book, Cold War. It centered around parenting, and (related and unrelated) the USA and the culture of politics, while presenting itself like a road trip with her older kids. I found the poems accessible, gritty, and really bittersweet. 


Read-Alouds
We're still making our way through Farley Mowat's hilarious dog memoir, The Dog Who Wouldn't Be. We will likely finish it by the end of this week, so you'll have to wait until next time!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron