Skip to main content

Albuquerque, NM // 2021

Let's just get it out of the way first thing that I took very few of these photos--pictures from my friend Emily! Her photos are so dreamy and you can see more of them on her Instagram page

watching the Albuquerque Balloon Festival take off just after sunrise (amazing)

This trip was somewhat insane. Four states (5?) in under a week, multiple national parks, and a few of "once in a lifetime" experiences. We hit it hard this week and looked like Doc Brown from Back to the Future when we were done. 

Above was the Balloon Festival- an annual week long festival where hot hair balloonists and enthusiasts gather in one of the largest crowds of humans I have ever seen. We woke up around 3AM to get on a bus by 4? and be at the field when it was still very dark out and the first balloons were just filling up with air after the pilot turned on the burner. The flames were enormous and loud! 

Watching the sky fill with balloons over the course of the next few hours (not to mention those early sunrise balloons) was incredible. Highly recommend. 

Just what it says...LOVED this museum, just wish Lukka got to experience it
 
Just outside my friend's air force base is this museum, and it is one of my favorite all-time museums. It did a fantastic job at showing the history of nuclear energy, from the earliest days, all through WWII (haunting exhibits about the creation of the bombs, photos of people's 'shadows' as their only remaining existence in place. Read here how that happens, and what it looks like. It was disturbing and sobering. 

Later on in the museum, it talks about nuclear energy and the space race, along with new types of energy being designed/used today. It had a great gift shop and of course I had to bring these back for Lukka for Christmas. 

Moab adventures right before the 'dive'...water into the side by side! (hehehe oops)

We went to Moab for two days to play around in the desert and boy did we have fun. That little side by side was handled by two 7s. IYKYK. I was actually bruised from my seatbelt. We rented it for 4 hours and I recused myself from all financial liabilities (ahem, that water in front). This picture was 'before', after...that thing was covered in dust and mud from the 1 hour mountain climb up to a beautiful spot in the desert. 
On our way back, I noticed about 20+ min out that our bag was nowhere to be seen (it had been strapped in, too) and....our car keys were in it. We went as fast as we could, got some air on some of the bumps, and found it lying in the red sand nearly where we started. We came back to our location, in the rain, with 1 minute to spare. If that. Let's just say our adrenaline was shot for the day. 

wild mustang herd in the middle of the desert

Although I can't remember what the park was called, this desert area above was very remote and not very interesting (aside from the wild herd!) until you hiked much further down and followed the arroyo into where there were rock formations and hoodoos everywhere. 

On the way back to the trail, the herd was MUCH closer than this picture, and we had to be sure not to make eye contact or accidentally 'square up' with the male, who would have likely charged to protect his mares. A bit nerve-wracking!

We toured around Sante Fe for a day and had a great time visiting "the oldest...." (of everything?) capital city in the US. Everything there is beautiful. I really don't have a care for the desert. I don't like cacti, and dislike everything being brown or drab, but this area of the state is stunning. There is red rock (and then red dirt) everywhere, the adobe buildings are brown/sandy colored with turquoise trim, the blue sky, and on a rainy year (like 2022), there is lush greenery everywhere. 
Sante Fe  was/is home to lots of artists, so there are a lot of galleries...and tourists! It exceeded my expectations. A year later, we'd be celebrating my friend's wedding in a venue in Sante Fe!

Sunrise over Delicate Arch in Arches National Park, Moab

10 out of 10 stars for a near- middle of the night entrance, hour-long hike in the dark, and sunrise with about 8-9 other people at "the arch". It is MUCH bigger than it appears. It's staggering, really, to get a picture right next to it. 

After about 30 minutes or more after we got to the top, the crowds started in, and on the way back, it was astounding how many people were making the hike. If you go at night, you don't have to pay for entrance, you get a parking spot right up front, and beat the crowds ...AND get to see the incredible stars because  there is no light pollution there.

 cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado

Going to Mesa Verde has been a childhood 'bucket list' item for me. I have wanted to go there ever since I heard about it, but I had no idea that it would be as far away from the viewing centers as it was. Unfortunately, because it was covid, so much was closed in this part, including the tours (extra money) down to the sites, which I would have happily paid for, but even just seeing it was really enjoyable. 

We came right at the tail end of the park being open, and the windy 30 minute drive up to these areas was...intense....but we made it! 

gorgeous view from our side by side (I think), somewhere in Moab

I'm not sure where this photo was taken, but it may have been on our side-by-side drive. If so, that trail you see just in the foreground, on the left side, is one of the 'easiest' roads we would have taken!


back in Albuquerque, riding ponies in the desert

We rode my friend's horse (and borrowed a few others!) during the week and that was really fun, as well. The desert trail rides at sunset were unreal. And again...this coming from someone who doesn't overly love the desert landscape. Being outside on a horse with a big beautiful sky and your best friends...what can be better? 
I got my first taste of a wild tarantula (horses were like "oh, yeah, that? who cares"), and we ran up a hill on the horses which I enjoyed thoroughly. These ladies always take me on trail rides that are interesting and challenging-- this was a highlight!

Meow Wolf in Sante Fe 

I don't even know how to describe Meow Wolf except maybe it's like a crazy interactive adult museum that was created by people on acid. The premise is that it's a haunted house, but you don't even need to know or follow the story...just explore each candy room, musical nook, and psychedelic cranny and you'll have a blast. 

When we left, we decided that our brains were mush, our eyes were melting, and we had pooped purple marshmallows out of our ears. It's weird, wacky, wild, and super fun! There's a few around the US. 

Paletas of every flavor and color at The Paleta Bar

One of the most enjoyable food places we ate at was The Paleta Bar. For under $7, you can get one of these delicious fruity-creamy popsicle-like treats, covered in whatever type of candy/chocolate/dips/fruits you want, Subway-style. Oh. My. Lanta. We went back twice. 10 out of 10 stars; must experience!

***

Honestly, that's how this entire trip was: 10 out of 10 stars. Highly recommend. There were even things we did that didn't make this list (like Four Corners, etc.) and to do it all at our pace is fairly unrelenting. We spent so many hours in the car, but it was so fun and so rejuvenating to be with my people and have these experiences! The next time I'd go to Albuquerque would be for a wedding! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron