Skip to main content

January - February Titles // 2024

A very early morning walk in Fort Langley

 I am currently typing this post in August - late August - because for some reason I just could not get blogging done (even though I want to record the books and vacations!). I had an empty summer (of no kids in the house) and a full summer (friend visiting, caretaking, extra work hours) and a few days away in each month and now it's over! The kids go back to school in approximately 7 days! Wild. 

Anyway, for these posts, I'm going to hope that these were the books I read 'around this time'. I can't be sure, because I don't keep notes on when exactly I finish a book, just a paper list and a pinterest board that I try to remember to update. Here we go!

North End Love Songs by Katherena Vermette - This collection of poetry was completed in a day, as they are quite short, but they are very heavy. Vermette connects the natural world (often birds) with the abuse and trauma Indigenous youth experience(d) over the course of many years. The poems are fragile and gritty. I recognized her name from a novel I read years ago in book club, The Break, which centers on an Indigenous family of women and the individual and collective trauma they suffered. 

Tom Lake by Ann Patchett - This was a book chosen for our book club and I loved it! I enjoyed the way the story was told - a mom is telling her adult daughters a love story from her younger years they've never heard of before, and also how she met their father, all while picking cherries in their family orchard. It was atmospheric and the past and present was so fluid in the storytelling. 

Wounded in Spirit: Advent Art & Meditations by David Bannon - This was my Advent book I worked through this past Christmas season, and ended in January. It was a bit more melancholy than I realized, but I love art history, and that topic, paired with Advent meditations, scripture verses, and prayers was something I enjoyed. 

West with the Night by Beryl Markham - I chose this book for my book club pick as I'd always wanted to read it, and it did not disappoint! This is a memoir of a woman who came of age in the 1930s living in Africa with her single father. She was treated more like a boy than a girl and became extremely independent, brave, and adventurous because she had opportunities I think the average female at that time wouldn't have been allowed. It was a bit disjointed at times, and there is some controversy about the veracity of the account, but imagine someone who learned to fly across Africa, almost got eaten by a lion, and was one of the best racehorse coaches in the US at that time - it almost sounds fantastical. 

And Yet by Kate Baer - This was a hilarious, clever, and fiery collection of poems about being female. I remember sharing some of the poems with some of my friends while reading and them replying with the emotional equivalent of "oh snap!!" Profusely enjoyed.


Read Alouds

The World at War by M.B. Synge - This book was published in 1929, when the world was still processing World War I. It gave an excellent account of some of the main battles across Europe at the time, along with the history of what happened, politically, that led to the war in general. I'll admit - it wasn't a page turner, but it was a worthwhile read to understand the geography and the reality of WWI on the European continent. 

Winnie's Great War by Lindsey Mattick and Josh Greenhut - This book is technically middle-grade and it was delightful. This is the true story of the bear named "Winnie" - and it is Canadian history! Winnie was a bear cub when a Canadian vet took him into camp during World War I to be a morale booster for the troops there. I did find it a bit sad towards the end (and of course, the beginning), but it's a worthwhile, well-researched true story for any age. 

Stalin: Russia's Man of Steel by Albert Marrin - This biography was both horrifying and so informative. I really didn’t know much about Stalin before studying WWII with my kids, and we read biographies of all the main leaders in the war (Hitler next time). I found it astounding how many traumatic traits Stalin and Hitler shared, especially when they were young children. Stalin was an absolute terror to his people: starvation, slave labor, manipulation, fear tactics, poisoning, and disregard for human life. It's sobering and I wouldn't read it to anyone under 14, but it's a necessary piece of history people should learn.  

Churchill by Paul Johnson - Another excellent biography about an Allied leader who I knew very little about. This man was both frustrating and hilarious, and his wife might have been one of my favorite 'characters' in his life. Along with his quippy attitude and sharp wits, he truly put in the work ahead of WWII to become 'the only man for the job' when it came to helping England get through the world intact, and with morale to spare. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron

August Book Titles

* 50 Women Every Christian Should Know by Michelle DeRusha -- I heard the author on a podcast and the book sounded good. It was described as a book full of 5-7 page mini biographies on each woman, and that sounded both easy and interesting. It was. I really enjoyed this book and plan to give it away as a Christmas gift to someone I know will get a lot out of it. I really don't know that much about Christianity's historical females, and I felt I learned a lot. Some of the women I had never even heard of before, and it was fun to read about women I'd heard of before by name, but knew little about their lives. * The Story of Science by Susan Wise Bauer -- Oy. This book was tough to get through. Not because the writing wasn't good (it was excellent), but because of the subject matter and my right-brain. Out of any schoolish subjects, I would rate Science as my least favorite and most difficult. I read this book because when I had the kids' school order it, I thoug