Skip to main content

Lukka's Birthday Interview // 17

17! You're FINALLY 17! You can drive independently, and you have read the manual, watched professional drivers and gleaned tips from others about this test that you've been dreaming about for years. You were given a car by a friend of ours, cleaned it to perfection, fixed it up in places, and have driven your sister and friends all over for the past week in near-unbridled joy. I am so happy for you (and I'd be lying if I wasn't happy for me, too)!

You are such a mature and kind-hearted young man. You have big plans and are taking the steps to proactively execute them. You are sweet to your sister even if you'd deny it in front of your friends, and your relationship with her has come full-circle back to being as close as you two were in your littlest years. 

You have so many goals and you work hard to achieve them! You prioritize what's important to you, and are willing to cut the rest. Although I sometimes wonder how you will remember to get to appointments without me reminding you about setting alarms for things (ahem), I have no doubts you will, from a young age, be able to be independent and self-sufficient and make it in life - in whatever way you want that to mean because you are driven and persistent. 

This year you got baptized by your own volition and you've taken that step with the utmost seriousness, and that's all I've ever wanted for you and your sister both.  You are self-reflective and willing to listen to those you trust about life choices, and you put a lot of effort into and emphasis on relationships which is why you have so many close friends. Keep showing up, kid. I'm so darn proud of you. 




He passed his driving test!  


What is your favorite color? Blue

Who are some of your friends? Matthew, Joshua, Cole, Zack, Koen, Kate




Looking at the lunch counter exhibit at the National  Museum  of African American History in DC

What do you want to do when you're an adult? something in Cybersecurity

What is your favorite animal?  dog





Getting a ride on the farm 

What is your favorite thing to do with your friends?  hang out at a coffee shop or restaurant 

What do you like to do outside? taking the dog on a walk or photography





Ur Oma playing her piano for Lukka while he waits his turn!

What do you like to do inside? Instagram (and playing instruments!)

What is your favorite drink? either hot chocolate or bubble tea




Lu playing in his first orchestra in the Fall of 2023


What is your favorite restaurant? the Vault or Boothroyd's

What is your favorite subject in school? Science




Lukka with his friend Ian skiing at Mt. Baker in Washington

What is your favorite thing to watch?  MKBHD (tech youtuber) or Legal Eagle (a lawyer youtube) or some Marvel show with dad

What is your favorite song to listen to?  Little Blue by Jacob Collier, Don't You Remember? by Adele, or "83" or "Neon" by John Mayer




playing piano at our co-op with his friend Joshua


What is your favorite way to exercise? swimming or skiing

What is your favorite item to work with?  my computer



some of Lukka's friends, big and small 


What makes you happy?  Hanging out with friends or instagram reels (LOL)

What makes you sad?  I'm not sure 




Lukka working on an art project

What is your favorite thing to do with mom?  Going to Glen Valley dike (he takes photographs there while I walk the dog)

What is your favourite thing to do with dad? watch shows or ski




Making spring rolls with co-op friends

What goal did you accomplish this year that you're proud of?  driving and passing my test!

What is a goal you have for your next year?  Graduate and taking on a fourth instrument





One of my favorite shots of Lukka's

Anything else you'd like to say about the past year? I don't know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron

August Book Titles

* 50 Women Every Christian Should Know by Michelle DeRusha -- I heard the author on a podcast and the book sounded good. It was described as a book full of 5-7 page mini biographies on each woman, and that sounded both easy and interesting. It was. I really enjoyed this book and plan to give it away as a Christmas gift to someone I know will get a lot out of it. I really don't know that much about Christianity's historical females, and I felt I learned a lot. Some of the women I had never even heard of before, and it was fun to read about women I'd heard of before by name, but knew little about their lives. * The Story of Science by Susan Wise Bauer -- Oy. This book was tough to get through. Not because the writing wasn't good (it was excellent), but because of the subject matter and my right-brain. Out of any schoolish subjects, I would rate Science as my least favorite and most difficult. I read this book because when I had the kids' school order it, I thoug