Skip to main content

19 in 2019 // Intentions for the Year Ahead

view from the top of Salt Spring Island, BC

I always love making an intentional list for the year ahead, but as I've been reflecting on the past year in my personal time, along with reflecting on our past half of our homeschooling year thus far, I've staretd to jot some 'things' down for this year as in years past, but I haven't been able to fill up the whole list and I have no idea why.
 Maybe it's that I don't feel I have the brain space, maybe because it's nearly Feb. 1st already and I'm feeling behind already, or maybe it's because I just haven't let it sit and stew enough. That's ok. I'm learning to just go with it. I have about half.  I add to my list in my bullet journal, I more than likely won't remember to edit this post but (shrug), Oh Well. Such is life! 

19 in 2019 (or, ahem, a few less)

1) Watch Lo & Behold technology docuseries with Lukka. We watched Cosmos last year and that was a wonderful experience for us both. He's such a tech-lover and I love documentaries; that equals some great quality time for us. 

2) Go to the New Media Gallery again, but take the whole family. Complete! We went for the amazing Reclaim and Detritus art installations. I knew the kids would love it and Stefan might enjoy it. He didn't. HAH! He's not much of a museum person. 

3) Take Anikka to the Vancouver Art Gallery. This has the most unfortuante acronym, but it's something I've wanted to do for years. I've never been, and she and I love art. Another quality time thing I can do for a specific child--always worth it. 

4) Girls trip: Arkansas!  Museums, bbq, horses, hot springs, shopping, girl time, oh my! Enough said. 

5) Read All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr because everyone I've heard loves this book. And I want to make an effort to read it! 

6) Go snowshoeing with friends. I wanted to do this last year and couldn't quite get to it before the snow melted. I'm sending out some emails after this blog post! 

7) Bike in Whistler or Squamish in the Fall. Our family did this in 2017 and we really enjoyed our long day trip up there on the gorgeous Whistler bike trails. I want to make an effort to do that again because doing something seasonally in Fall fills me up big time. 

8) Start planning a BIG TRIP. Details to come, but it's gonna' be a fun one...just the planning stages. The trip won't happen until 2020. 

9) Read the Penderwick series to the kids. I have wanted to read the first of the Penderwicks books for quite awhile myself, and then when I realized it was a series I thought, "yup, those will be our summer series!" I'm excited. 

10) Finish homemade frames and start to punch. (Started) I have had Stefan cut me specific frame sides and I've taken the time to glue them together. I've bought the monk's cloth and I need to stretch and staple it before I can start punching my own creations. I love Arounna's work and she has a book coming out in Feb. that I am for sure getting myself for my birthday! 

`11) Finish all my old Taproot magazines. I have a solid 3-4 that have been waiting for me for well over 12 months. It's a 'deep-dive' magazine that I don't skim, but read front to back and I just want to get them off my side table. I really enjoy them but decided to skip my renewal and catch up. 

12-19) ??? TBD

Comments

Hena Tayeb said…
I hadn't heard of the Panderwick series but am going to check it out.. my boys might enjoy it.

I have read All the Light Cannot See and it is not a light read.. and while it was beautifully written there were also some very drawn out parts.. and I was not a fan of the end.

I don't mean to discourage you from reading it.. just my thoughts.

http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron