Skip to main content

2019: What Happened? What Didn't?


Every year I make a list of loose goals and try to start/finish/try/plot/etc. them before the year's end. Some are hard, some are goofy, some are ridiculously easy or that I've been chewing on for awhile but just need to actually write it down to get it done. Most years (most) of them get completed. Sometimes they don't. You can view past years' lists and the What Happened post HERE. I'm still mulling on my 2020 list, so you'll (probably) see it later January.

19 Things in 2019

*Watch Lo + Behold with Lukka (completed, Spring). This netflix documentary about tech was something I wanted (and was able to make) time for with my son. He liked it. I was 'meh'.

*Go to New Media Gallery for another exhibition (completed, multiple installations). I love this gallery...it's not even something that needs to get written down anymore, I just go every time they have new work!

*Take Ani to the Vancouver Art Gallery (completed, December) I finally got out there, and even got to take her for free (long story)! We thoroughly enjoyed wandering the gallery for a few hours.

*Arkansas Girls Trip! (completed, Spring) Add to that my first massage, first time riding a horse bareback, and first time on an adult-sized electric scooter.

*Read All the Light We Cannot See (in progress). I've had this book for over two years. It won a pulitzer and everyone loves it. I'm actually finding I'm not in the mood, but the writing is exceptional the story is intriguing so....carrying on.

*Bike in Whistler or Squamish in the Fall (completed, Oct.) First time mountain biking had us going to Whistler where the kids started crying and I completed a few laps without falling! LOL

*Start Planning our Germany Trip (ongoing) The trip's tickets will be purchased later this week or early next (!) using our airline miles...we'll pay only a few hundred dollars out of pocket for our family of four thanks to saving for literal years for this trip. I did, however, plan all the kids' Socials and Literature around Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.

*Read The Penderwicks to the Kids (completed, July)...there was so much hype about this book series and while the first one was good...I think my expectations were too high. I probably won't read the rest of them.

*Finish homemade frames and punch! (semi-completed, stagnated) I really, really wanted to make my own punch-needle frames (complete!) but did I ever take time to actually DO the punch needle work? No. My brain space can't handle crafts for the last couple years, for some reason.

*Finish all my old Taproot Magazines. (completed, Dec) All done, and I even added 2 old Relevant magazines to that list and completed all 5 in the span of 2 weeks. That felt good to get those (finally) off my nightstand.

*Watch Herbie the Lovebug with the kids (completed, July). I wanted to make sure I watched this classic with the kids and this was of course before I knew about Disney +!

*Canoe in Manning Park  (completed, July). This was originally "horseback" in Manning Park but after a ton of searches I realized....all horseback riding places have closed long since and unless you trailer in your own horse, you're outta' luck. We had a super windy day but we made the canoe work.

*Canoe Cultus Lake (completed, Aug.) Thanks, Smith family for hosting us on your Cultus Lake property and for letting the kids and I have our very first jet-ski experience. We're hooked!

*Ski at 3 new mountains (Mt. Washington, Apex, Silver Star, Manning). (semi-completed, in-progress). Our December Mt. Washington trip got cancelled due to lack of snow, we tried and nearly FROZE to death at Manning in March, and Silver Star is on the calendar for late January!

*Make Emily an embroidered baby onesie (completed, Sept.) Dang, see above, my crafty mojo has yet to return but I was able to finish it!

*Visit Museum of Pop Culture (completed, Sept.) Thank you Free Museum Day. Probably wouldn't pay to go to it, though.

*Save up for a new bike rack (completed, Dec.) We found one on craigslist that was FREE and just what we wanted (and suuuper nice). Total score!

What are you super proud of completing or progressing in in 2019? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron