Skip to main content

Riding the Wave




That meme is, as my friend Amy puts it, "Funny. And Not Funny."

That about sums up this bizarro-world we've been living in for the past 5 weeks. The economy is shot, people are financially stressed, kids are home and bored out of their minds, and we've all seen a little too much of our family and too little of our friends and community. By now you've probably noticed it: some days feel completely manageable and some feel like Alexander's Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day mashed up with Groundhog Day. 

The unfortunate thing, is that the kids/spouse/roomates have their good days and bad days that don't necessarily coincide with ours.  It's not like the little kids in quarantine can really articulate what they're feeling, either. A lot of us have to still be productive at work, while at home, with the new job of managing the kids' school work along with trying to find them things to do after those 90 minutes are up. Add all that to not being able to find any more toilet paper at three stores when you have 2 rolls left! It's enough monotony, pressure, and uncertainty to crush a soul. 

We're all riding the waves of grief, anxiety, irritability, apathy, rebellion, compassion, generosity, and restlessness together, at different times. Some days are a wash, others you might feel like "hey, today was a good day and we did OK". Some day the kids will just be a train wreck. Sometimes you will be. Sometimes your spouse or your parents will be. Just come to expect that the highs and lows of emotions are all over the map through this pandemic, and that acknowledging those feelings are the first steps to reducing the actual stress. 

I've been thinking about this idea for awhile now, and after this week listening to Brene Brown's podcast, Unlocking Us (which is fabulous). She hosted Dr. Brackett who wrote a book on my wish list called Permission to FeelI knew I was on the right track. 

I know this situation is complex, and everyone's situation (and fears) are different. Big or heavy emotions aren't  bad, they're like a road map to our mental health landscape. You're not alone in your hard feelings. You're also not wrong in your hard feelings. But we can't regulate and understand our emotions-or ourselves-without first acknowledging the psychological alarm systems that are going off. 

Listening to Brene's voice in the car was soothing after a day when everyone as Just A Little Too Much. It was the right thing for me then. I was sick of noise, decisions, and talking and I just wanted some personal space to think so I could be a human being again when I went back inside. Today was more peaceful and relaxed. Acknowledging what you're feeling may not be a long-term solution to whatever you're experiencing in this pandemic, but it could be a real and honest toe-dip step to reduce stress in the moment. Try to explain to your kids the same things you're telling yourselves: "what I'm feeling isn't wrong, and I'm not the only one who feels this way." It will get better, friends. 

*********

As promised, a few more Fun Things to distract from the hard waves for 15+ minutes:

*Troom Troom - a  craft/DIY youtube channel. My daughter has had great success with their craft tutorials, especially the barbie & miniatures

*The Kids Should See This - a weekly (free) email that puts together 6-7 of the most random and incredible videos that are totally appropriate and engaging to kids, from all topics like science experiments to homemade music to experiential art to videos about psychology. My kids NEVER miss a week!

*My Lockdown Diary - if you've got a journaler or artist in the family, they might enjoy using this cool template for a future time capsule!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron