Skip to main content

January + February Titles // 2022


The most recent stack



Although this post might say it's March 1, 2022, I am currently sitting half-way through March while trying to get this done in the next thirty minutes that I have to myself. It never lasts long enough!
Only half of this stack got finished, though I've completed a few since this photo was taken, my reading has mostly been for the kids' school book stack.

That is just the reality these days as they are reading novels (or I am reading them aloud) and to keep up with all of it just takes most of my (slow) reading time. I'm a quarter of the way through my most recent Plough magazine issue, and have high hopes for reading Joy Clarkson's Aggressively Happy over the course of the next month, but even my book club reads are suffering. 

January

The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah - This was my book club's January pick and it was long and not my favorite Hannah book. If I never read another Dust Bowl book I'll be happy (I think this was #4...). It's a part of American History I'm quite tired of reading about, frankly. The only redeeming part of this one was that the story was pretty quick (although the main character fairly generic) and it incorporated some of the interesting Communist practices happening underground in California at the time. The romance was ridiculous and unbelievable, and that was that. 

Canadian Geographic (Jan-Feb) - I love my Canadian Geographic. I learn so much with each bi-monthly read, and this issue's cover-art article on the Canadian Lynx did not disappoint. I also loved reading the history of the Coast Guard. I know this type of non-fiction isn't for everyone, but it's one of the quickest ways I can learn about the geography, history, climate, and society of the country I am currently living in. It helps that the photography is always beautiful. 

Exploring Dyslexic Science with Kids and Teens by Diana Hudson - I had the Surrey Libraries purchase this book for me. I skimmed it as there was a lot of information I already knew or had previously applied. This book would be EXCELLENT if you find yourself as a homeschooling parent or a teacher looking to include and help guide dyslexic students to be successful in the subject of science without just textbook reading and bubble-filling on tests. In fact, I would argue that any of these projects or ideas would make successful child-scientists with or without neurotypical brains. 

Read Alouds

One Thousand and One Arabian Nights by Geraldine MacCaughren - The Beautiful Feet Book read alouds have been so good this year; with this, the next, and the Magna Charta all being from the Medieval History-Intermediate manual
This book was laugh out loud funny, but I'd never read to a kid younger than 10. The entire premise of the book is listening to an Arabian bride tell her husband (who wants to kill his current wife each morning and then marry another so he never gets his heart broken) all the myths, legends, and tall tales of their region each night so she can keep her life. She tricks him with moralistic themes, hilarity, and coyness. I'd read this book just for pleasure! My kids loved it, too. 

The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green - This was another book from BFB (see above) that was absolutely brilliant and so funny. My kids really enjoyed this one, as well, and after finishing the book we took archery lessons with long-bows! 
Although the stories of Robin Hood have been combined here for an actual story, the majority of writings about Robin Hood (or Robert Fitzooth) were actually in poems, ballads, tall tales or plays! Roger Lancelyn Green, one of the Inklings, put them all together to create this masterpiece. 


February 

Gay Girl, Good God by Jackie Hill Perry - This book came recommended to me from a few friends, and although I follow Jackie Hill Perry on Instagram, I'd never read one of her books. This is her memoir of falling in love with women, falling in love with God, and surrendering the first to the second. 

The Fully-Formed Life by Rich Villodas - This was a book my small group chose to read together through the months of December through February, and it was really good. I don't always enjoy "Christian Living", but this book was relevant, engaging, and challenging. I'd recommend it for small groups as the questions provided and content are really conducive to fleshing the topics out in community. 

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne - This book was chosen by a homeschooling friend as a possible project for the kids to do as a year-long musical. Anikka has joined to do costume and props, and Lukka wants to help out with the technology aspect of filming and/or directing. This was a fast-paced and very entertaining read. I'd never read it before but read along with the kids so that I could talk to them about it and understand the storyline. It's a fun classic to read with kids around middle school age and up. 

Read Alouds

The Magna Charta by James Daugherty - Although this book doesn't sound interesting (unless you're a history buff), it was! It's the history, told in narrative non-fiction for ages of maybe 10-16. It's the story of how the first official document of representative government came to be. I had no idea it was Prince (ahem, King) John of Robin Hood fame that enacted this document-and how he got blackmailed to do it! To find out what happened, I guess you'll just have to read it. 

Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman - I read this book alongside Ani, as she read it independently. We'd talk about the couple chapters each day with a few Socratic dialogue opportunities as they presented themselves. This book is about a 14 year old girl, Catherine, who is living in the Medieval Times in England and who has written her year before marriage in her journal which we get to read. Catherine is extremely funny, and although likely her humor was a bit exaggerated for our entertainment, her life certainly was not. Appropriate for 12+

In the Company of Whales by Alexandra Morton - This book I read aloud to Anikka through her science course on Marine Biology. In the end of her year, she'll have read numerous books, worked through 2 different marine biology programs, and have a number of projects completed with her learning. This book was excellent AND about a local scientist who is still trying to save salmon in BC. In this book--her journal from her early whale-scientist days--Morton writes down her entries about what she learns (and therefore informs us, the reader) all about whale communication, play, behaviour, and the like. Although it read as a diary (with a few non-fiction context boxes throughout) Anikka and I both really enjoyed this one. It's written for upper elementary- middle school, and we both learned a lot about the orcas that can be seen splashing around in our local waters!

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! by Amy Laura Schlitz - Although I'd read this book to my kids before in middle elementary, they had zero recollection of it and enjoyed it this time because  they had context for all of the characters and their lives through our learning about the Middle Ages this year. This book is a Newberry Award winner and each 'chapter' is a person's story told in poetry or prose. This might include their vocation, their station in life, or their struggles. They are short and usually under 3 pages each. The fun thing is each person relates to the next 'in line', so the story continues in an interesting and connected way, as all of these characters lived in the same small village. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron