Skip to main content

A Trip to the E.R....

Yes, the title isn't a joke. This morning around 8AM we found Lukka still asleep in his crib, surrounded by a yellow mucusy-drool all around him. We didn't know what it was, but figured since he was very stuffed up, maybe it was mucus mixed with drool as it seemed he'd left his mouth open last night. Feeding #1-vomit. Great...he hasn't done this since he was about 5 weeks old. Try again, feeding #2-vomit. This goes on and on (while on the phone with a nurse), every half hour or so after I feed him for roughly 3 minutes each. Stefan goes out and gets pedialite (now 10 AM) and after only sipping less than an ounce, throws up 3 times, and its now all yellow-stomach bile. He didn't ingest anything, so we don't know what it could be. I have never felt more scared and useless as when he was in my arms, drenched (I'm drenched) and his pale, limp body is just hanging from me, unable to even follow my hand with his eyes. Of course, he has to get like this on a Sunday, when his pediactric clinic isn't open. We had to take him to the E.R...he couldn't keep fluids down and hadn't had anything real to eat for over 14 hours...thats bad in baby language. As we were waiting for the doctor, he fell asleep in Stefan's arms and didn't wake up for about an hour. The doctor left us with a few syringes, and some Pedialite, and instructions to give a syringe full every five minutes for a few hours. At about 2:30, he was able to keep everything down so he started to nurse, only 5 min. every 1/2 hr, and then finally fell asleep in the carseat around 6. I woke him up, fed him (I thought nothing would happen)and of course he got sick again. We put him to bed and he seems fine, that his body is resting. The doctors told us that it was either a bug he picked up OR more likely, just excess mucus (snot) that he can't cough up or blow out (of his nose) so his stomach gets full of it and has to vomit it out....apparently its pretty normal for babies because they can't do anything else. I find comfort in this, as I was very scared this morning, thinking worse case scenarios at a hundred-miles-a-minute. Good thing I have Stefan to keep me calm (okay, he has enough calmness for both of us, and I have enough hysterics for both of us), and the comfort of knowing he isn't really my son anyway, but on precious loan. I decided I wanted to post a picture of him in his snowsuit for you (this was taken today), as he is so peaceful in it. We'll see how tomorrow goes.


Popular posts from this blog

How To: DIY Sand/Water Table

How To: Build A Sand/Water Table for Under $30!
Sorry this took me so long to blog, but I had to have a tool list and full instructions before I could do so.
A little history on my love for the sand/water table. I love the idea behind tools for tiny hands, i.e. the Montessori Method, and like to have Lukka 'figure things out for himself', even when he is playing. I try to have the most simple and basic toys available for 3 reasons: a) simple toys generally have less parts, which means less of a hassle for me
b) simple toys inspire way more creativity and imagination than do 'exact replica' toys
c) they are much more aesthetically pleasing to look at, therefore, not making every nook and cranny of our house an eyesore!
I know the last reason is just for me, but it's true. Plastic things don't generally last 1/2 as long as wooden or fabric toys, and they are unattractive. For this reason, I started to look for a wooden sand/water table as opposed to a plastic one …

The Rule of Threes

Costco aftermath
This is what my kitchen looks like for at least an hour after a Costco trip. I haul in everything after an exhausting journey through the busiest store (seemingly) in this country and I just can't do a dang thing more. For an hour. While I get a breather. And eat some obligatory reward chocolate. Eventually I'll get to those piles and everything will be put in it's proper place, but usually it stays like this for that necessary hour. 
                                                                          *** I don't think I'm alone in sensing that our culture has gone hog-wild with unrealistic expectations in just about every department, and I want to tell my friends, and anyone else who will listen, that we can only do so much in a day.  My husband once told me a friend of his pondered the busy-ness of our modern lives and said something to the effect of, "God gives us just enough time in the day to do only the things we need to do." …

17 in 2017 // What Happened? What Didn't?

one of Ani's goals: learning to bake!
This year was a great one--we did SO much as a family and I really think by setting up some 'Things to Do' with the kids in my goal list for 2017, we made them happen rather than thinking we could do them 'someday'. We traveled a lot in 2017; we hit every state on the West Coast including Alaska! We started our 6th year of homeschooling and went a bit rogue in a few subjects like Math. I started and finished a beloved book series with the kids. There were a few things that didn't happen because of circumstances, but almost everything else DID happen, and I'm proud of that! Intentions + action for the win! 

What Happened

*Learn to make pakora and butter chicken (crock pot): This might be cheating but a friend of mine sells Epicure spice blends and they just came out this past year with a pakora packet. It's healthy, fast, gluten-free, and delicious and I'm counting it! I also made the most delicious butter chicken…