Skip to main content

A Trip to the E.R....




Yes, the title isn't a joke. This morning around 8AM we found Lukka still asleep in his crib, surrounded by a yellow mucusy-drool all around him. We didn't know what it was, but figured since he was very stuffed up, maybe it was mucus mixed with drool as it seemed he'd left his mouth open last night. Feeding #1-vomit. Great...he hasn't done this since he was about 5 weeks old. Try again, feeding #2-vomit. This goes on and on (while on the phone with a nurse), every half hour or so after I feed him for roughly 3 minutes each. Stefan goes out and gets pedialite (now 10 AM) and after only sipping less than an ounce, throws up 3 times, and its now all yellow-stomach bile. He didn't ingest anything, so we don't know what it could be. I have never felt more scared and useless as when he was in my arms, drenched (I'm drenched) and his pale, limp body is just hanging from me, unable to even follow my hand with his eyes. Of course, he has to get like this on a Sunday, when his pediactric clinic isn't open. We had to take him to the E.R...he couldn't keep fluids down and hadn't had anything real to eat for over 14 hours...thats bad in baby language. As we were waiting for the doctor, he fell asleep in Stefan's arms and didn't wake up for about an hour. The doctor left us with a few syringes, and some Pedialite, and instructions to give a syringe full every five minutes for a few hours. At about 2:30, he was able to keep everything down so he started to nurse, only 5 min. every 1/2 hr, and then finally fell asleep in the carseat around 6. I woke him up, fed him (I thought nothing would happen)and of course he got sick again. We put him to bed and he seems fine, that his body is resting. The doctors told us that it was either a bug he picked up OR more likely, just excess mucus (snot) that he can't cough up or blow out (of his nose) so his stomach gets full of it and has to vomit it out....apparently its pretty normal for babies because they can't do anything else. I find comfort in this, as I was very scared this morning, thinking worse case scenarios at a hundred-miles-a-minute. Good thing I have Stefan to keep me calm (okay, he has enough calmness for both of us, and I have enough hysterics for both of us), and the comfort of knowing he isn't really my son anyway, but on precious loan. I decided I wanted to post a picture of him in his snowsuit for you (this was taken today), as he is so peaceful in it. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron