Since I am trying to win a copy of this, my regular readers may not know that I am a secret saver. We penny pinch, but mostly it's because we like to do things the 'home-made' way (i.e. cheap) or we wouldn't do them! Here's a list of my quirky, I mean, frugal things I do in my home:
- I cut Stefan's hair. His mother taught me how to do this right after we got married. I don't think the poor kid has ever had a haircut in a salon...or even a cost cutters!
- We recycle everything, and whatever we can't find a second use for (ice-cream bucket turns into 'road-tripping water-bowl for dogs'), goes into the recycling unit a few blocks from our house. We also swap what we want and want to give away with a local online group, Freecycle (check out and join for your city).
- We bake our own bread and desserts. We rarely buy 'dessert' (except ice cream in the summer) and two chocolate bars per adult every month. Don't let this fool you, it's mostly because we don't need the extra chocolate, not because we're that stingy!
- We have never bought a TV--every single one we've ever owned (only 3, and all at separate times) we have been given as gifts, and we refuse to pay for 100,003,038 channels we will never watch (i.e. cable).
- I get most of my crafting/scrapbooking supplies from junk paper piles (or again, freecycle).
- We buy cds and books from half.com(that link goes directly to our account...i.e. you're buying from us! HA!) instead of going to big chain stores (although they are so fun to go to for a date!)
- I puree my own baby food, portion it into 1/2 cup (4 oz) servings, and freeze...(buy some of these and re-use for your own supply once baby has eaten what was initially in it!)
That's all I can think of for now (well, husband is pressuring me to come downstairs and hang out!). I'll keep you posted! Happy Frugality!