Skip to main content

Keeping It PG

If you are a close friend of mine you may know about my little quirk. I love surveys. I fill out restuarant comment cards (sometimes they will give you $5-$10 off!), department-store online surveys, and research opportunities short of drawing blood. When someone from my former college *UNL* e-mailed me about a survey I did back in May, I was interested, then they told me it would take an hour and I'd get $15. Sign me up already!


The research was conducted by a graduate student who was working on a dissertation about our cultural language (well, college-aged) regarding sexual euphemisms. It was very interesting. There were about 120 notecards sitting on a table each baring an euphemism on it. I was to categorize first the "Violent Euphemisms" and then make categories up of my own accord. Needless to say, the first category had the biggest stack--which didn't really shock me at all. I made 6 other categories including: Formal/Non-offensive (also not shocking, the smallest pile), Outdated Terms, Unique or Odd Terms (I had never heard of any of these--I think people just made them up), "Foreplay" Terms, General/Overly-Casual Terms (basically, you're average 6th grader knows what these terms are referring to they are used that much). Then the woman conducting the research asked me numerous questions regarding my categorizations. All in all, it took about 20 minutes, and I stayed to talk to her for about 10 more minutes "off the record" (or recorder). She is using her research to conduct a subslot in sex-ed that would include language. Her research is proving that those who have fewer 'violent' euphemisms (she said I was the first person who have that category as the biggest...most often it was the smallest--I was shocked!) are more likely to support a rape culture. This doesn't necessarily mean that person A using word A supports rape, but that person A is more likely to "let it slide". This is very interesting as in reading the last book in this topic, Liebau makes the arugment that culture 'deadens' us to terms and normalcy, stating (this is an estimate as I already returned the book) that 'during one hour of TV, there are over 6 scenes or dialogue moments supporting/assuming sexual encounters'. That is a lot for a young person to watch and not eventually take as normal! Especially if the average child watches 10 or more hours of TV a week (and it is actually WAYYYY higher than that...). I know a lot of people reading this have small children and won't have to worry about this coming up for a (hopefully) long time, but it should come up. Parents should and need to talk to their 'tweens' and teens about this because in surveys across the board in the three books I read, each majority figure said that parents would be the most influential in a child's decision to have sex. It's not friends! It's parents! Not only do we as parents have a responsibilty to be open with our children, even when they have 'uncomfortable' questions, but we have a responsibilty to tell them what is 'normal' (and it definitely isn't what's on TV!) and what is exaggerated for selling purposes. It may even take a little bit of this:



I'll be looking forward to the final write-up of the findings in May.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm trying not to think about all of that. It's crazy! Thank goodness for Elmo's World and Cookie Monster's letter of the day.

Popular posts from this blog

How To: DIY Sand/Water Table

How To: Build A Sand/Water Table for Under $30 ! Sorry this took me so long to blog, but I had to have a tool list and full instructions before I could do so. A little history on my love for the sand/water table . I love the idea behind tools for tiny hands, i.e. the Montessori Method , and like to have Lukka 'figure things out for himself', even when he is playing. I try to have the most simple and basic toys available for 3 reasons: a) simple toys generally have less parts, which means less of a hassle for me b) simple toys inspire way more creativity and imagination than do 'exact replica' toys c) they are much more aesthetically pleasing to look at, therefore, not making every nook and cranny of our house an eyesore! I know the last reason is just for me, but it's true. Plastic things don't generally last 1/2 as long as wooden or fabric toys, and they are unattractive. For this reason, I started to look for a wooden sand/water table as opposed to a pl...

{This Moment}

Join as we savor moments to remember from the week.

We've Gone and Done It

We are in the midst of packing up, and moving. Not just any move, but The Move we've been trying to accomplish for years now. We're heading up to (Washington) Canada. In the last couple of months Stefan had been talking to a potential employer up in Richmond, British Columbia , and after a very swift interview process they offered him the job. Small and large details aside, he accepted and plans to start on February 25th. We leave one week earlier, on the 18th. That's literally just over 2 weeks from when you will read this. We told family and close friends first, and while we haven't been keeping it a huge secret, our church, as a whole, did not know until last night because it was then we could tell everyone at our seasonal congregational meeting what our plans were in person, and with many of them all at once. I didn't want to say anything online until that happened. We've been steadily spending heaps of time with friends and family, all while slowly p...