Skip to main content

Friday Book and Movie Reviews

Wow. I feel like today is the first day I've had time to sit down, and I can't really remember anything significant that I did this week, but it feels good to know that babe will sleep a little while more. The last two days I've got to spend some time with my World Travelling Friend, Susie. Yesterday we didn't do much (hence the really bad post, sorry) except talk for hours and caught up. Today we went shopping at Hobby Lobby as she has a lot of downtime in the Peace Corps/Mauritania and needs a new hobby. I suggested knitting as it's cheap, easy to learn, and very portable. She also got a few small items for some of the girls who she has a club with over in Africa, some embroidery floss to make charm bracelets with.

She brought this awesome outfit for Lukka. It is what the locals would wear there to a formal event (wedding, etc.). It is very lightweight, even though it is pants. Thanks, Sus! Read more about Mauritania, West Africa here.



I've also finished two books this week, Baby Love by Rebecca Walker and Stiff by Mary Roach. I actually really liked both. On a scale of 1-5 (and you should know, I am SO stingy with my 5s--practically no one gets them) I give Stiff a 4 and Baby Love a 3.5. Miss Walker has excellent, articulate thoughts on parenting and the relationships with her own parents. Those sections were the parts I loved best, and although it is a book on pregnancy, I don't really want to be told how much she ate because a) it grosses me out and b) I do want another baby in the future, and that does nothing to get me in the mood of being pregnant again. However, if I would have read this while being pregnant, I would have given it a higher rating.
Stiff was very interesting, although not as good as her newest book, Bonk. If you get grossed out by watching surgeries on tv, know that I do too, and I loved this book. A few graphic parts, yes, but altogether a fascinating read on a subject that never gets talked about. Really want to see this after reading it (viewers beware).

Stefan and I also watched Annie Hall (1977) recently, and although we both realllllly dislike him, I loved it (Stefan, predictably, hated it). I thought it was pretty well done and the dialogue was good ( of course, Woody Allen's only good trait is that his dialogue is very clever, otherwise he's usually very irritating to me ). This was on my netflix queue because I had heard it was a "must see" from most serious movie watchers I know, and I like Diane Keaton. Out of 5, a solid 3 stars from me.

My next book I am really looking forward to reading is Richard Louv's Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder. Happy Friday!







Posted by Picasa

Comments

Holly said…
Hey Sarah,

The Last Child in the Woods was the inspiration for the Lincoln Safari - a year-long family oriented get outside treasure hunt of sorts.
Ronaldo drogba said…
If you wish to complete the activation process in the Roku device that you use, then the best place to visit is Roku.com/link. The Roku technical support team based here always lend a helping hand. For the entertainment you have vouched, you must choose the best Roku device. For viewers who wish to have a more enthralling experience, they must try Roku for sure
My blog:
Roku.com/link
www.Roku.com/link
Roku.com/link create account
Roku.com/link activate account
Roku.com/link account
Roku.com/link activate
Roku.com/link activation
Roku.com/link setup
Roku.com/link code
Roku com link
Roku com link create account
Roku com link activate account
Roku com link create
Roku com link activate
Roku com link activation
Roku com link code
Roku com link setup
Roku com link enter code
Garmin GPS said…

My travel life have been easier with Garmin Update. Plus I can get all the additional knowledge through their blogs. I use the Garmin app and is totally upto the mark. I recommend everyone to use Garmin Map Update and get Garmin life time map update or call +1-888-309-0939 for instant help from Garmin GPS experts.
Nancy Angel said…
Are you looking to activate amazon primevideo.com/mytv in your device without any hassles? You need a correct primevideo mytv link account in order to setup your device.
Garmin Express works with the internet to upload and download the data to your computer from your Garmin device. Most possibly you will get this Sync Error from your Garmin Express and the chances are very high if you don’t have a proper internet connection.
Fubotv Activate said…
Fubo Tv offers several options, similarly, it has also given vast effort on its on-demand options, Fubo Tv is one of the great value packed streaming service providers for which many people are going for it. You can enjoy local channels of sports and entertainment with the highest quality of video resolution.A new feature called ‘4K On Demand’ comes to FuboTV Connect Code, which will help you browse exclusive 4k videos and channels. To choose this feature, just click on Fubo.tv/Connect and tap on the ‘4K on Demand’option.
Nyra Cuper said…
silver singles dating site silver singles login uses an algorithm that matches you with people based on your personality, location, age, and desired relationship outcomes.

tramadol without prescription Buy tramadol online directed by doctors, this medicine is used for moderate to severe pain.
Fubotv Activate said…
Aside from the presence of FuboTV application on Android and iOS, it also has apps for streaming sticks and over-the-boxes. You won’t have to take any hassle to carry out the installation and use FuboTV in your device. Some sport lovers may wonder where it is that they can find live sports clips and streaming service. When a person is interested in where to find live sport, there are actually FuboTv is a live sport sources that these individuals can consider. fubo.tv/connect
fubotv connect activate code
Fubotv Activate said…
FuboTV connect code is mandatory to experience smooth and hassle-free entertainment through the Fubo. If you are having any doubt, or facing any issues regarding fubotv connect process, then we can stand by your side and provide step by step help. We have a dedicated team to assist you in this concern. fubo.tv/activate

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron