Skip to main content

No A.C., Disappointment, and a Lesson in Faith

This past week has been humid in Nebraska. It's all for that dang water we sit on top of, and it makes Lincoln feel like a jungle mid June-late August. It started early this year, and about 4 days ago, we turned on the A.C....and there was a puff of gross, wet air, and then...nothing.
"Uh-oh"
"Ugh. I knew this would happen as we're trying to sell the house!"
Those were both my comments, by the way. The first was my 'angel' side, thinking, "This? No problem, sure, an inconvenience for a few days, nothing more" but the other? The devilish side, who always takes over when yours truly is H.O.T.
If you don't know me very well, know this: One reason that I am really looking forward to moving to the Pacific Northwest this summer is because of Nebraska heat/humidity. It can easily reach above 100, and have about 97% humidity (and as we are smack-dab in the middle of the US, we have no "coastal waters" relief...it just sits here...like a fat, heavy cloud).
Enter me, who can work up a sweat changing the TV channel, and it makes for one unhappy lady. Enter crying baby who wants me to play outside with him...in.that.nasty.heat.
Enter one extremely wonderful husband who takes care of said baby and lets me mope on the couch.
I was grumpy for a few days, and we called a friend who owns his own heating/cooling company and within an hour and a (cheap!) $100.00 later, we were back in business AND he told us that since it had been installed (8 years) it had never once been cleaned...so not only does it work properly now (and sparkles), he said our cooling bill will be 1/3 of what it was the previous years! It pays to maintain appliances, we just never know until we find out the hard way.

This past weekend also had an interesting trial for me. I haven't been that open about our move, because it is a hard issue for some, but we have had great traffic in our house (1-3 lookers/week!) and two couples come back a second time who love the house. Good signs. The first bought a house that was their first choice (doh! We were #2) and the second couple...we just found out last night was in their 50s and wanted a 1 story (ours is 2--the stairs might be a problem in their future). Otherwise, they "just absolutely loved it".
Understandable, but so disappointing for me. The stress of cleaning it almost every day (just for upkeep, usually the Realtors give me about 45 minutes from time of call to the time they arrive--that's just not enough time for me to clean up after 2 dogs, baby, and leftovers from 2 adults!) and the desire for a change of scenery is just almost to much for me to bear. Not to mention, I was HOT!

So, back to the drawing board. Stefan is determined to move by August 1st, and frankly, so am I. I just want the house to go before us. Now that the AC is on and my house feels (and looks) like a department store, I am ready to wait just a little while longer, it's amazing the faith He gives us when we need it the most.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron