Skip to main content

Books 8, 9, 10


Alright, I know, I 'strayed' from my list. How could I not when every time I went to the library something I'd read about online or heard on the radio was staring me in the face in the "New Releases" section? I am a sucker for David Sedaris, so I knew that I had to be the first person in line waiting for his book at the library. What can I say, I'm a dork for sarcasm. His newest release, Engulfed In Flames, are more tales about his absurd family and partner (and nutcase from across the hall) and a longer section of his 3 month journal to quit smoking in Asia. I don't think any book will ever be as funny as Me Talk Pretty One Day, but this was a solid 4 out of 5 stars, something Sedaris always has lived up to in each of his books. You will laugh out loud (as was the case in high school when I first read Me Talk Pretty in study hall-- I burst out laughing and muttered to the other students frightened by my roars, "He gave alcohol to his hamster!") and, in one essay in particular, you will cringe (ah-ah! No cheating!).


Book #2 in this lineup was C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity, which I "read" via audio cds. Lewis has some awesome Christian theology and encouragement packed into that book, and I intend on buying it off amazon; an old crispy one that encourages highlighting and notes in the margin. This book can be read and read again, always gleaning more information out of his relatively simple metaphors that explain some of the hardest questions about Christianity. I even got Stefan hooked on it--on his drive back from Denver he listened to the entire book...then picked up another C.S. Lewis book on cd this morning at the library. This, I have to rate a 5 out of 5.


The last book I read in previous weeks as Richard Louv's Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder. Hold the phone. This is a hard book to get into because there is so much information packed into the 310 pages. Louv makes a case for getting parents and children ( schools too) back into the mind-frame of child exploration/healing/living in nature as an authentic lifestyle. Now that I've read this book, I will be talking it up with every parent I come across and tell them, "You must read this!" It took me a little over 6 weeks to read ...(love the library, you check out, you renew, you take back and there is a new shining copy, waiting to be picked up in the "recommended" section! another 6 weeks at your disposal!) but I give it 5 out of 5 shining stars.
Even if you pick it up for the "suggested reading" pages in the back, it's well worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron