Skip to main content

Book List 2009!

Wow! 10 days since my last post? We have been revelling in Christmas and New Years' Breaks over here at the Mast house. This is our last long weekend, ending tomorrow with a lunch with my mom's side extended family! Other than there being less than 60 days "left" before baby comes (how how how is it already less than 8 weeks from now??), we have a lot of housework, baby prep (freezer meals to make, etc), and miscellaneous jobs to before February, so hopefully we'll stay busy through the cold Nebraska winters.

My book list looks a little different this year, with 7 poetry books and 8 regular books. I had about 20 on my last last year (a lot of them being over 500 pages) and I just got really bored with sticking to the list (BUT I did read a total of 36 books last year...just not the ones I had originally thought). The poetry books are small, 5 of them under 100 pages, which I should be able to get down with in about 2-3 days. This will be a great list for a year with a new baby, and also a new book club. I will review our last book, Three Cups of Tea, in a later post.

The List....!
Poetry
  • Collected Works of Robert Frost--didn't happen last year...let's try for this year!
  • Collected Poems-Sylvia Plath
  • Divine Revelations of Love--Julian of Norwich
  • The Eye Like a Strange Balloon-Mary Jo Bang
  • The Ardors-Kathleen Pierce
  • Open House-Beth A Fennelly
  • An Alchemy in the Bones-William Reichard

Prose

  • The Color Purple- Alice Walker (never read this!)
  • The Joy Luck Club-Amy Tan
  • The Cap-Roman Frister
  • You Can't Get Lost in Capetown-Zoe Wicomb
  • Bless Me, Ultima-Rudolfo Anaya
  • The Rim of the Prairie-Bess Streeter Aldrich
  • Long Walk to Freedom--Nelsen Mandela (again, didn't make hardly a dent in this 700 page book in 2008, hoping to finish it in 2009!)
  • Fahrenheit 451-Ray Bradbury

A lot of those are classics that I've always had around, but have never read. I wanted all my 2009 books to be ones I owned, so that I could start 'cleaning out' my collection--I have become disciplined enough in the past few years that reading what I have and just going to the library are good enough for me...instead of buying tons of books (although, I just LOVE the smell of new books, the feel of them, and the general aesthetic that lingers in a bookstore!). I may even give away some of these after I read them if I like them enough!

So there you have it, perhaps not as exciting as Book List 2008, but I will also share what my book club is reading when I find out myself! What is the book you're most excited to read this year?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron