My book list looks a little different this year, with 7 poetry books and 8 regular books. I had about 20 on my last last year (a lot of them being over 500 pages) and I just got really bored with sticking to the list (BUT I did read a total of 36 books last year...just not the ones I had originally thought). The poetry books are small, 5 of them under 100 pages, which I should be able to get down with in about 2-3 days. This will be a great list for a year with a new baby, and also a new book club. I will review our last book, Three Cups of Tea, in a later post.
- Collected Works of Robert Frost--didn't happen last year...let's try for this year!
- Collected Poems-Sylvia Plath
- Divine Revelations of Love--Julian of Norwich
- The Eye Like a Strange Balloon-Mary Jo Bang
- The Ardors-Kathleen Pierce
- Open House-Beth A Fennelly
- An Alchemy in the Bones-William Reichard
- The Color Purple- Alice Walker (never read this!)
- The Joy Luck Club-Amy Tan
- The Cap-Roman Frister
- You Can't Get Lost in Capetown-Zoe Wicomb
- Bless Me, Ultima-Rudolfo Anaya
- The Rim of the Prairie-Bess Streeter Aldrich
- Long Walk to Freedom--Nelsen Mandela (again, didn't make hardly a dent in this 700 page book in 2008, hoping to finish it in 2009!)
- Fahrenheit 451-Ray Bradbury
A lot of those are classics that I've always had around, but have never read. I wanted all my 2009 books to be ones I owned, so that I could start 'cleaning out' my collection--I have become disciplined enough in the past few years that reading what I have and just going to the library are good enough for me...instead of buying tons of books (although, I just LOVE the smell of new books, the feel of them, and the general aesthetic that lingers in a bookstore!). I may even give away some of these after I read them if I like them enough!
So there you have it, perhaps not as exciting as Book List 2008, but I will also share what my book club is reading when I find out myself! What is the book you're most excited to read this year?