Skip to main content

How To: Homemade (slightly healthier) Onion Strings

Would you believe I hated onion rings until I made my own homemade version adapted from The Pioneer Woman's recipe? They are SO good, and making them from scratch is a cinch, just follow these simple steps:
1) Chop Onion to desired length (rings or strings, basically)
2) we give em' a milk bath + a bit of yogurt mixed in for at least 1 hour
2) strain milk mixture in sink
3) in a seprate bowl, toss around onion strips into all-purpose flour and set into strainer *IMPORTANT STEP*
I don't think Pioneer Woman strains her flour, but this is a must for us, it gets all the clumps of flour (which would otherwise sink to the bottom of the pan and burn and *stink*). It also helps them get crunchy on the outside if there is just enough batter, but not too much!
4) Toss in powdered onion strings & let fry in veg. oil until golden brown (a few minutes per batch)
Use slotted spoon to drain oil & set aside on paper towel to absorb moisture.
5) Sprinkle with salt and pepper and enjoy! You may want to make these by yourself, if you make them with someone else, you may end up having a race who can stuff the most into their mouth. I may or may not have tried that myself.
*Note*
This recipe adapted from Pioneer Woman's recipe, I changed the buttermilk bath to a mixture of 1% + 1/4 c. yogurt soak and also strained both the milk and the all-purpose flour mixture to get rid of the clumps. We also use much less oil just because we would end up having a lot left over that you couldn't use again.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Lizzi Beduya said…
looks great! i follow pioneer woman too... just haven't had the chance to experiment with her recipes. Great job!

Popular posts from this blog

How To: DIY Sand/Water Table

How To: Build A Sand/Water Table for Under $30 ! Sorry this took me so long to blog, but I had to have a tool list and full instructions before I could do so. A little history on my love for the sand/water table . I love the idea behind tools for tiny hands, i.e. the Montessori Method , and like to have Lukka 'figure things out for himself', even when he is playing. I try to have the most simple and basic toys available for 3 reasons: a) simple toys generally have less parts, which means less of a hassle for me b) simple toys inspire way more creativity and imagination than do 'exact replica' toys c) they are much more aesthetically pleasing to look at, therefore, not making every nook and cranny of our house an eyesore! I know the last reason is just for me, but it's true. Plastic things don't generally last 1/2 as long as wooden or fabric toys, and they are unattractive. For this reason, I started to look for a wooden sand/water table as opposed to a pl...

{This Moment}

Join as we savor moments to remember from the week.

We've Gone and Done It

We are in the midst of packing up, and moving. Not just any move, but The Move we've been trying to accomplish for years now. We're heading up to (Washington) Canada. In the last couple of months Stefan had been talking to a potential employer up in Richmond, British Columbia , and after a very swift interview process they offered him the job. Small and large details aside, he accepted and plans to start on February 25th. We leave one week earlier, on the 18th. That's literally just over 2 weeks from when you will read this. We told family and close friends first, and while we haven't been keeping it a huge secret, our church, as a whole, did not know until last night because it was then we could tell everyone at our seasonal congregational meeting what our plans were in person, and with many of them all at once. I didn't want to say anything online until that happened. We've been steadily spending heaps of time with friends and family, all while slowly p...