Skip to main content

In Review: Veganomicon


Since going vegetarian a few months ago and cutting back a lot of our diary & egg intake, I've been struggling the past few weeks with being creative with our meals. It is something I have had to go out and research, looking up substitutes, ordering cookbooks through InterLibraryLoan I've heard about, and just generally thinking outside the box (ha! Okay, lame, I know...) with what we have in our cupboards.
A solution? Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero.
Although this book has minimal pictures, which is something I usually require in a cookbook, it has a few awesome sections on stocking your pantry vegan-style (i.e. agave nectar, arrowroot powder, and different oils) which I would have been endlessly roaming isles looking for on the day of making a dish. It also has a great intro in grains. From how to do a basic cooking of a specific grain, to where they came from and how they are harvested. Very interesting stuff to me. Same with beans, which I would just about rather crawl into a deep dark cave than cook them for my family. You have to admit, beans are kinda' ....ugly. But because they are good for you (eat up, people!), I am making myself learn this stuff.
This cookbook is also a 'simpler' cookbook, as in, it doesn't use 385 pans per recipe, something else I hate about some cookbooks. They have tips spread throughout and variations of a lot of their recipes. The great thing are these recipes are good. They aren't crazy bizarre flavors mixed to make something that resembles our compost pile but is good for you. They even have a chapter titled, "One Pot Recipes"-hello crock pot!
I love this cookbook and it has made the cut from library to purchase! Now, as for you guys, go eat your veggies!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

julie k said…
mmm... I love beans and cook them all the time. Do you still have this or did you return it? Do you think it is at B+N? Might have to check it out at knitting group tmw night.

Popular posts from this blog

How To: DIY Sand/Water Table

How To: Build A Sand/Water Table for Under $30 ! Sorry this took me so long to blog, but I had to have a tool list and full instructions before I could do so. A little history on my love for the sand/water table . I love the idea behind tools for tiny hands, i.e. the Montessori Method , and like to have Lukka 'figure things out for himself', even when he is playing. I try to have the most simple and basic toys available for 3 reasons: a) simple toys generally have less parts, which means less of a hassle for me b) simple toys inspire way more creativity and imagination than do 'exact replica' toys c) they are much more aesthetically pleasing to look at, therefore, not making every nook and cranny of our house an eyesore! I know the last reason is just for me, but it's true. Plastic things don't generally last 1/2 as long as wooden or fabric toys, and they are unattractive. For this reason, I started to look for a wooden sand/water table as opposed to a pl...

{This Moment}

Join as we savor moments to remember from the week.

We've Gone and Done It

We are in the midst of packing up, and moving. Not just any move, but The Move we've been trying to accomplish for years now. We're heading up to (Washington) Canada. In the last couple of months Stefan had been talking to a potential employer up in Richmond, British Columbia , and after a very swift interview process they offered him the job. Small and large details aside, he accepted and plans to start on February 25th. We leave one week earlier, on the 18th. That's literally just over 2 weeks from when you will read this. We told family and close friends first, and while we haven't been keeping it a huge secret, our church, as a whole, did not know until last night because it was then we could tell everyone at our seasonal congregational meeting what our plans were in person, and with many of them all at once. I didn't want to say anything online until that happened. We've been steadily spending heaps of time with friends and family, all while slowly p...