Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Little Dude

Today, the first day of summer, we celebrate Lukka's THIRD birthday! How is it possible that I have a three-year-old? I don't know either, but what I do know is that I need to check into finding Never Never Land, because this is about as old as I want him.
*
Last Tuesday, we had an early Jazz in June birthday celebration with family. We like to keep birthday's small, cheap, and special. The felt crown that I made him can now be seen all over blog land and etsy, but I just cut two matching strips out, put the "L" in the middle, and cinched it with cute sailboat material and elastic in the back.
*
If you haven't noticed...Lu has a new toy...a big bike! He took to this right away and has been riding it every.single.day. (Yes, we got him a helmet.) He's a natural, and him, dad, and Arjax even took a bikeride in the pouring rain yesterday! I think the legacy of bikers in our family will continue!



Every birthday & Christmas, we give each child "Something to Wear, Something to Read, Something to Play With", and here is Ani modelling his "wear" gift, a little star super hero cape. Not shown: homemade Zorro mask. Right now, surprisingly, I think she likes the cape more than he does. I can rest assured that someday he will like wearing a superhero cape, but for now I guess Anikka has claimed it.


Here is his "Something to Read", we got him a subscription to Ladybug (3-6yo) magazine, product of Cricketmag.com . I highly recommend them to any parent or teacher. I used Faces (cultures) and Dig (archeology) for years when I taught at Community Learning Centers, and will definitely be subscribing to them again once we start to homeschool. They have magazines for babies through highschool age and Ladybug is a big hit at our house. It features stories, poems, crafts, and a song in every issue and they are tied in with the seasons. We've already read the issue he holds in his hand about 4 times all the way through since last week!

Here is a shot of his "play" gift. I love TreeBlocks, but did not want to spend the money for them when my husband was more than capable! Enter in the Creative Play for Toddler Book, that has a recipe for perfected Tree Blocks! All you have to do after you saw them into different shapes are sand all the edges, and flat surfaces, dip in olive oil (or boiled linseed oil), let dry, and rub with a cloth. He opens these this morning!
Happy Birthday, Lukka. We love you so much and your conversations, imagination, and sense of humor are just starting to really take off. We have so much to look forward to in the years to come. XO, Mom & Dad

Posted by Picasa

Comments

Beck said…
Happy Birthday Lukka! Wow, time is flying and what great presents!

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron