Skip to main content

Weekend Recap: Kids Health & Safety Fair, & Waterfest 2010

This weekend was busy. Tons of community events, time to play in the pool with some friends, and relaxing evenings mixed with good food made this a spectacular weekend in the city. There were amazing thunder storms every night, and it was cool (enough) in the mornings and late evenings to enjoy being outside.
*
This first picture is taken from the BryanLGH Kids' Health & Safety Fair. This is an annual event that is in the form of a bazaar, with games, prizes, and food, yet the message is loud and clear: be safe and healthy! Healthy foods are incorporated into some games, healthy practices, like wearing a bike helmet when riding a bike, or putting on a safety belt when in the car, are incorporated into others. Some small business owners were also presented, including a few martial arts academies, a Chiopractic Center, and even a new business I had never heard of, but was intrigued by, Behave'n (interesting concept for a company!)
My only beef was the fact that pop was served free, instead of juice or milk. Argh.
This second photo was taken at Waterfest 2010, which took place at Holmes Lake park on Saturday evening. You could take free canoe rides so Stefan and Lukka paddled out and had a blast. Usually Lukka is quite shy with new experiences, but when I asked him if he wanted to go with dad in the canoe, his eyes got huge and he shook his head "YES!" as if his life depended on it. They had a great time.
This was a fun event that also served free pop & hot dog dinners until supplies lasted...which was all night. When we left around 7PM they still had loads more, so we took one home.
*
This event only takes place every three years, unfortunately, when lots of "green" businesses come out to show kids cool science experiments having to do with sewers, sanitation, and groundwater & general water conservation. This event is geared more towards older kids (I would say 5+) but Lukka still had a blast and was interested in many things. Just the free food & canoe ride was worth the trip there.
Here he is learning how to cast for fly fishing! He loved it. I see a Father/Son fly fishing trip in the future.

If you're local: Both of these events were found by looking in the wonderful Lincoln Kids Newspaper, which is free at most grocery stores & coffee shops, filled with events all over town; quarterly. Most events are free or very inexpensive, so if you're living on a budget in the capitol city, I highly recommend picking one up!
*
Stay tuned: New blog posts every day this week including a few movie reviews and tons of crafts!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Lisa said…
If you are interested in going fishing, let me know. Noah just got poles, etc. for his birthday and he's been bitten by the bug. It's too cute!

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron