Skip to main content

Books I've Read This Summer-Blurb Style

I've been reading a lot this summer. I have three favorite hobbies, and reading happens to be one of them. The other two, are knitting, and sewing. I have learned about myself that I go in spurts with each. There will be a chunk of a year that although I may knit one small item, sew up a baby gift or make something for the kids, the main focus of my free time is dedicated to reading. Then I get the itch for being at my sewing machine, and the rotation flip flops; again with knitting. This summer has been declared The Summer of Reading! If I read a book that I think will appeal to most heavy readers, then I do a post just for that specific one. Others, just are generally not as high on the priority list, but you may like to hear about them. Enter the blurb style:

photocredit

Deep Church by Jim Belcher was a very quick read, at just over 200 pages. This spiritual-non-fiction work is devoted to finding a 'third way' of church; an in-between of a Traditional Church Model and the Emergent model. Very informative, but still even a bit too formal for me if I'm thinking about melding the two models together. If you like informative works about the Christian church, this is a good book to read.

photocredit

The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne is much more approachable to those who are new to Christianity, or know nothing about Christianity. This guy is a self-proclaimed rebel, and in thinking about our materialistically driven culture, his asceticism ways are definitely that. His goal is to find 'missions' all over in our own back yard, get to know the face of poverty, and do something tangible about it. This book, although thick at just under 400 pages, reads very quickly with it's personable style. I feel the asceticism could be toned down a bit, as many people would not know how to sift one extreme (materialsm) from the other (commune-style living) in order to find a balance.

photocredit

Hmm, Beth Moore. I love Beth Moore's bible studies, but not her books. This one was pretty good. Informative, personable, funny. I would recommend it to someone who needs to be encouraged or informed of what insecurity actually is and how it is played out in our everyday life. It's really everywhere, for women. Some may not agree, but I found this book to be a cold splash of water in the face for most people who battle insecurity (men? women? I know you're out there!). Down to every knitty gritty defensive feeling or the big whoppers of a very hurtful past, she's talking about it, and trying to heal it.

photocredit

Beach read alert. This book, after getting through the first semi-boring 50 pages, was actually quite an enjoyable and quick read. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen is all about a magical little town where 5 people with very different pasts come together and are revealed to be more than they appear. The main character, Josey, is a lovable, but trying 20something who figures her life can be lived for herself, rather than her family.

*

Currently Reading:

photocredit

What the Dog Saw by Malcom Gladwell (Blink, The Tipping Point) was a birthday gift from my best friend. I've wanted to read it since March, but haven't been able to get to it until this Summer. His nonfiction books have been on the NYTimes bestsellers lists for..I don't know..years?! I love nonfiction, and so have always been drawn to reading a book of his.

This is a compilation of essays on how the brain works in various ways. Here are the subtitles for his three parts: Obsessives, Pioneers, and Other Varieties of Minor Genius; Theories, Predicitons, and Diagnoses; and finally Personality, Character, and Intelligence. NOT a beach read, for sure, but still very interesting. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, though the amount of people I would recommend it to is narrow: heavy nonfiction readers. If you read The New Yorker, you'd like it. All these essays (and the author) have been written for that periodical for years.

photocredit

Last but certainly not least, A.W. Tozer's The Knowledge of the Holy. I'm only half way with this one, but I have read it fully before. This is just a small 120 page book, but it is packed with meat about Who God Is? and His attributes. I recommend this, or any other of Tozer's books to someone looking to know more about God, from the newest Christian to the oldest. This diet is rich. Hard to read, and enough so that I can only read one or two 4-page chapters per day, this author never disappoints.

*
What are you reading these days?

Comments

Kerri said…
I read the Belcher book, too, and liked it, for the most part.
Malcolm Gladwell is one of my favorites; but I guess I am a "heavy non-fiction reader". :) In that I tend to prefer non-fiction to fiction.

Having said that, I am reading "The Help" on the recommendation of a couple of friends, and enjoying it so far. And it's FICTION! Gasp! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron