Skip to main content

Book Review: Vintage Remedies Guide to Real Food by Jessie Hawkins

photocredit

If you think that this title sounded somewhat familiar, you may remember my review post I did on the first book by Jessie Hawkins, The Handbook of Vintage Remedies. I love reading and learning all about health through diet & nutrition, herbs, natural body care, and more, so I didn't even think twice about buying this book before I read it. I had such a great reaction with the first, I knew I'd want this on my bookshelf, too (or with my cookbooks, as is more accurate for this volume).

Similar to the other, Guide to Real Food is broken up into many sections and chapters. The first few sections are devoted to the following:

  • The history of food and how its production has been adulterated in the last 100 years.
  • What makes up a "real food" or criteria as defined by composition (minerals, carbohydrates, protein, fats, etc.).
  • What types of oils/fats are good & bad.How food today is targeted to children and why that is so dangerous (very interesting chapter on growth of children versus growth of adults).
  • Seven 'confusing' foods including meat & dairy and how they fit into a "real foods" diet.
  • How to help your children with cooking!

The second entire chunk of the book is simply devoted to explaining over 150 food items (fruit, nuts, poultry, vegetables, etc.) that are considered whole foods, and breaking them down by composition, what they are used for and how they are generally cooked. This is such fascinating information for me to read, since Mrs. Hawkins has given us every opportunity to know what types of vitamins and minerals we're ingesting with each healthful food item. Along with each food listed, is a recipe underneath!

What I love most about this book, other than the explanation of foods (similar to her explanation/uses of herbs in Vintage Remedies) was that every single one of her recipes were so simple. We should all know that when you read an ingredient list at the store, the less ingredients, the better! The less ingredients that are in a product probably make it less 'shelf-stable' (able to sit on a shelf for a very long time), but the preservatives, hydrogenated oils, and high fructose syrups are what are causing our country's obesity and health issues on a grand scale. Each recipe had less than 10 ingredients, usually most had 5. The steps were very simple to understand and follow, and what we tried, we loved!

*

Lastly, I wanted to talk a bit about the company, Vintage Remedies. They have an excellent website, and are currently expanding their organization to textbook/online classes. These include the following: Natural Wellness, Family Herbalist Course, Holistic Wellness Professional Course, and a Clinical Master Herbalist Course (3-4 years)! I would love to take a class like this but they are quite expensive and currently with small children don't feel I have the time to pursue it as I'd like. I think I will wait a few years to re-evaluate, and go from there. I hope to someday take the Natural Wellness Course, which is just a 3-5 month commitment.

Stay tuned tomorrow to see our review of one of Vintage Remedies Guide to Real Food recipes and how-to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron