Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Lovely Bones

photocredit


This is an interesting to movie to watch and review, because I had so many emotions ranging from fear and disgust to sadness and even hope. Just re-watching the trailer I had a tense stomach with the action that takes place.
This story was originally a book, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. It's about a little girl, a 14 year old who gets abducted by her neighbor and is trying to help her parents catch him while she is in the 'in-between'. The in-between, a glimpse caught by her brother in a drawing, is in between Heaven and Earth, with magical landscapes and mystical enchantments, all while appearing to be Earth-like in geography.
The story unfolds around Susie, the girl, her killer in present day (years after), and her family all trying to stay together the best they can. Anytime the audience sees Susie, they are seeing the images from her eyes, and there is one scene that is really and truly horrifying because of it's subject matter. This is not a 'gory' movie, but definitely a psychological thriller/drama.

The Lovely Bones is a very good movie, and one I'd recommend to a lot of people. It's artistic creation was beautiful, the dialogue was good, the acting well done, and of course, the director, Peter Jackson, is a favorite of mine (Lord of the Rings). However, I would strongly caution parents to let their children under 16 watch this movie, simply because of the nature of the subject matter, and the 'tub' scene. Certainly worth 4 stars, this movie would make an excellent Friday night conversation starter, but I wouldn't watch it alone!

Comments

RT said…
This book freaked me out! I couldn't finish it, but desperately skipped to the end to find a satisfying finish. Needless to say, I'm going to pass on the movie, too.

BUT... I love your reviews! : )
Susie said…
The thing I hate most about this book is that the little girl has my name. Creepy.
Brandi said…
my husband and i just watched this. i have read the book, he has not. he said it wasn't his favorite movie, but that he was sure the book was better. the book was fantastic, but i thought the movie was just as wonderful in it's own creative and artistic way (i totally stole those adj. from you ;) ) thanks for the review, i've been interested to see what others thought

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron