I recently saw this post and then this one, and thought it'd be fun (and hello, honest) to participate. Obviously I wish there were more hours in the day, too, messes stress me out, and I'm constantly over scheduled. Let's all give ourselves a little grace, eh?
- I (maybe) clean my floors twice a year. (And that's a BIG maybe.)
- I am a tooth-brushing nazi for myself. I often forget to brush my own children's teeth once a day...as in...they might get their teeth brushed a couple times a week.
- There have been times when wet laundry sat so long it grew black mold. Time(S)!
- I can't stand cleaning bathrooms. I will happily clean OTHER PEOPLE'S bathrooms before mine. The shower, needless to say, pretty much always has a ring.
- Stale air makes me feel like I'm going to get sick (see #8).
- Children who have no sense of personal space get on my nerves in about three seconds.
- My tantrums often rival those of my 2 and 4 year old.
- I dope myself up with sleepy-time Dramamine when I fly so I won't get sick. This is why I hate flying with my children (as in, I can't DO that when they're with me...)
- I don't even know how to clean the outside windows, and am perfectly fine with the watermarks.
- I secretly think I have the best taste in music. And I will try so hard to hide my smug face if I talk about it with others. (oy, the shame)
- I'm an introvert who prefers pj's and myself to that loud! person! over! there! and jeans + jewelry.
- I get frustrated most days that it takes us (3) 20 minutes to leave the house on any given day when it should take (me) maybe 2.
- I have never wanted to go on a small missionary trip. Or big.
- I never want to really go further south than Nebraska, because I hate the heat and humidity.
- On that note, I may have SAD in the summer--when it feels like a swamp here for 3-4 months I am the most miserable person to be around. Steer clear. (See #7)
- When my kids find me in the computer room "trying to send off a quick email", I'm usually hiding from them and trying to get a minute of quiet in.
- Repeat #16, only "just quickly checking things (Facebook)".
- Repeat #16-17, only "going to the bathroom".
- I can buy you a fantastic gift, make 10 meals in succession, make appointments for you and clean your house but please, watching your kids? That might kill me.
- I only offer #19 to a select few. And I'm not telling who that is.
See? 20 Things I Am Not Proud Of.
I don't ever want to pretend I have it all together. On any given day I would never admit that, but I don't want anyone else to think that...like, ever.
This space is really a couple things to me 1) a place to document family life 2) a place to remind me of the things I'm interested and doing at this point in my life 3) a place to practice writing (not telling too much more about that...!) and 4) a place to provide and share tips that I am simultaneously learning.
In short, I have never claimed that I'm perfect, and I won't ever claim that. However, I do want to intentionally recognize the joy --however small and seemingly insignificant-- of the mundane, every day mess and document it for myself. And that's why I write here. Because I need to practice recognizing it.