Skip to main content

2012 Goals; a snippet.

Source: imgfave.com via Sarah on Pinterest



My goals for 2012 are short and tidy, but the hardest part of any resolution is simply trying to squeeze out more time than is available to us within a twelve month period. I like to take this list and jot out thoughts and intentionally sit down to think about, overall, what I want to accomplish with the time I'll be given, God willing.

As far as physical health goes, I'd like to continue on my path of making sleep, exercise, proper nutrition, and portion control important, and other than loosing a bit more weight (just to be back at college weight, so close!) I'm in maintenance mode for this, but it's still a goal. I learned a couple years ago that I'm the best version of myself when I get between 8-9 hours of sleep at night and get plenty of exercise.

Another goal is something that we've had to really compromise on. We have a goal of not having one, or both of us, away from the house during evenings more than 2 times per week (and yes, already, week #2 of the new year and we've failed. Both weeks.). With all of our activities, groups, friends, blah blah blah, there were maybe 1 or 2 days a week we were home...just HOME, a number of months on end. That had to stop. It's so easy to get into a frenetic schedule, and for what? I agree that relationships with close friends are very important, and deserve nurturing and intentional time. There are only so many continuing education we can do at a time (Stefan and I are both big fans of learning, so classes, etc. are hard for us to pass up, separately, usually, based on our individual interests), and sometimes, even if something sounds really fun, it just needs to be let go of for the health of the family.

Our goals involving children are bath time (cough), potty training Anikka which is going well, continue praying fervently for our children, their friends, and yes, even their future spouses, and also giving more grace and understanding to my sensitive child who seems to need many cuddles these days.

A financial goal we have had for a long time is to be debt-free, or at least don't incur more debt. So far we are on maintenance mode for this, but this year I am trying to specifically save for a nice camera. I have wanted a new one for years and our simple, everyday point and shoot is very near to biting the dust. I also want to try a bit of an experiment just with myself--to buy more things at the thrift store than I would at say, Target, or just pass things up altogether. I'm not being rigid with myself on this, just maybe more mindful of what types of treasures I can recycle by buying used even more than I already do. And for heaven sakes, make those silly market totes, more reusable napkins and nice tablecloths, runners, and place mats from my ginormous stash. It's just sitting, waiting to be used.

Relational goals will be continuing to invest a lot of time with family members (immediate and also extended), and spend more time with our really close friends. After a bit of prodding of one of my best friends, I realized that these relationships are so easy to misprioritize* because you think, 'they'll always be there when I have time', but when you need them in the every-day, you've had so many missed opportunities to make them even stronger if you neglect them. I'm hoping to spend at least 1 day a month with 3 specific groups of people (or persons) and making it work, which means cutting other things.

***
Do you write out your goal(s) every January? Do you make yearly goals? Are you a type A personality? Oh wait...talking out loud again...that was awkward...

*yes, it's a word. even according to urban dictionary ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron