Skip to main content

New on the Blog; A Rundown



I just wanted to do a short post on all of the new features on the side-bar of the blog for those who rarely read them (ahem, Hi mom!) and for those just passing through with a hopeful recipe search. Here's the rundown of what I recently updated:

  • Beneath the photo of Stefan and I is a text box that has my email address for those who are interested in my Usborne bookstore, and a link to the wonderful lady who took our family's photos this past fall. You can contact her through her blog.
  • The red rectangular link will take you directly to my Pinterest boards. What is pinterest, you say? Only the most addictive thing since sliced bread smothered in Paula Deen's crunchy butter balls. With chocolate. Pinterest is a visual 'cork board' of sorts, where one can categorize different boards ("Home", "Style", etc.) and glean worlds of visual eye candy from the web. And from eye-candy I mean of the 'dream-house' or 'future kitchen' variety, not the type that gets you in trouble. ;) That red button will take you to everything I fancy: want to read, wear, make, see, or teach, etc.. Or eat. Enjoy!
  • Underneath that is my Usborne Bookstore button, with the Usborne balloon logo. Click on that and it will take you directly to my online store. Read more about why I chose to become a representative of Usborne here.
  • Next is the search engine for this blog. Can't remember a witty title of a post on who-knows-what? Type it in there if you remember me talking something vaguely familiar about it, and see what comes up. It will not take you to another site, but just bring up any posts that may be relevant from my blog only. Neat.
  • The little picture of my feet, in a canoe, in the mountains? That's my fancy smancy 'blog grab button' with the text box. Like what you see here and want to share the love on your own blog? Copy everything in that little white box, and paste into your own little html gadget...do...hickey...thing. Now my little picture will grace your blog wall! Thanks. Mwah.
  • The next three buttons are just fun little flare I liked to add to my blog to not only give it some color, but to show my readers other blogs that I love. And I mean love. They don't get wall space if I don't read them daily!
  • Blog archive is just a tidy little button that shows each month since I first became a blogger (years? wow...) and how many posts are in each month. If you so fancy and want to go back to July 10, just press that with your mouse and you'll read all my posts on melting in the heat, and trying to get my kids back inside the air conditioning...or something.
  • The Label section is for those who are here tooling around without a lot of time to spare. Want to only read my thoughts on home schooling? Click that link to take you to all of those labelled posts. Wanna' see what I knit my kids in the past 3 years? Yup, you've got it, hit the knitting label.
I hope that clears up some confusion with all the little do-dads if you're new here. Enjoy and look around!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron