Skip to main content

Book Reviews; Dog on Surfboards


This picture has nothing to do with book reviews, I just thought I'd let you in on a little secret. People really do take their dogs paddle-boarding here. It's a thing. The dogs even wear vests. That must be a rule.

Anyway.

Books: I have a lot of reviews do to, and I'm going to follow suit of my friend Kerri and just do a multi-review post. Here are a few of the books I've finished in the past few weeks.

*The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova is a large novel based in Eastern Europe and is a piece of historical fiction mixed with thriller tendencies. It's a 'history' of the myth of Dracula, and the two main characters, a historian, and an anthropologist who continue to look for him throughout the ages. One of my best friends had recommended this book for years and finally bought it for me to enjoy at my own pace. I usually have trouble finishing a fictional book within the 2-3 week time period that the library gives, so I was really glad to have this copy of my own, because it took me about 10 weeks to finish it! This was also while moving across the country, and the fact that the book is almost 700 pages, or was it 800?  The book is beautifully written and Kostova has won many awards for her work. Certainly worth the read if you enjoy historical fiction, and well contrived writing about setting throughout Europe--ancient and modern. I look forward to reading her next book, The Swan Thieves.

* Project-Based Homeschooling by Lori Pickert will of course only appeal to a small niche of readers, as the entire book is about a minority group of home schoolers that call themselves Unschoolers or Freedom Schoolers. This book was something I bought for myself with birthday money because I couldn't get it at the library. It's a well-formed topical book about how to encourage kids of all ages to continue their learning by self-directing, and all-encompassing projects that are meaningful. This sounds a lot more simplistic than what is outlined in the book, and it's certainly not a how-to manual, but I felt this book wasn't as clear as her outstanding blog, Project-Based Homeschooling. She does write some posts that are covered in the book, but her information, in my opinion, is best taken in these short bursts that are posts, instead of chapters. The ideas flow really well together week to week from her blog and the passion Pickert writes with is engaging and contagious. She helps parents and children alike to make their lives abundant, creative, and purposeful, and she's clearly an encourager.

*Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris is one of his better humorous essay compilations. Sedaris went through a really...weird phase with his last three books. They were totally misses for me, and I stopped buying his books because of the disappointment I felt after his first couple books that I loved, and laughed out loud in public over. This is like vintage Sedaris humor with the delight of new stories, but the same (Parisian and New Yorker) scenery. I laughed very hard reading this, and often stopped to read snippets to Stefan, who unfortunately, doesn't share David's humor as I do. This book is often quite crude, so reader be prepared. I wish I still had the book in my hands to write out a funny line or paragraph, but this book was finished in 48 hours. Read it and cry with belly laughs.

*The Element by Sir Ken Robinson has been on my booklist for literally three years. I have no idea, or good excuse, why it's taken my so long to read it, especially since the nonfiction material he writes about (creativity, passion, and the brain) is so fascinating to me. This book was a quick read for me, and  my desire to read it was based on his animated TED talk I saw years ago about Education. That video was another piece of the pie that got me more enthusiastic to homeschool. If you haven't seen this 11 minute video, watch it. This book goes in depth with what this video talks about.

*Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist was my most recent foodie memoir. What a joyful book to read. It's full of everything a good book needs: part love story, tragedy, sweet times, beautifully written, and of course, a number of good recipes. Right now, Bread & Wine is the video "book club" on (In)Courage, though I have to say I don't really like these video conversations. The book is a story about Shauna's purpose to create community around the table. She has gained life-long fellowship through feeding others, and has even created a group of women who cook together once a month and the tells the story of how that group has evolved. Although I had to give this book back to the library before I got to try out any of the recipes, her bacon, feta, and date appetizer is on my list to make. (Yes, those are the only 3 ingredients!) This book is one of my favorite of 2013 so far.

*Bringing Up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman is one of those controversial books that started a Mommy War back when it came out a year ago about American parenting philosophies. I wanted to read this for a few reasons, which I shared on facebook: I love memoirs about ex-pats in France, and I read a lot of them; I also think that American parents are (blanket statement next up) frazzled, overly-anxious, and unhappy with their parenting role, that they don't enjoy it as much as it can be. The French, or at least Parisian, who are interviewed and observed in this memoir, have a much different way of parenting than the general American culture, and it's one that I resonate with. Although it is stereotyping two very different countries, I think it's safe to say that if the pediatricians, day care providers, and parents are all enforcing the same rules & cadre (French for "frame"), it's a fairly normative way of bringing up children in France. This book talks about Druckerman's ex-pat observations from everything to careers after baby, to "French children don't throw food", the overall sense of French parenting philosophy is sage (French for calm), within the frame, and much more relaxed on parent and child. I found a number of French parenting models were things we did when our children were babies and toddlers--even though they seem against the American grain--because it seemed to be common sense to us. I still have about 50 pages left, but you get the gist.

Comments

kylee said…
I'm excited to hear that Sedaris is back on track! I will have to pick that one up.

I just got into Bringing Up Bebe, and am excited to devour it! I have read some articles here and there about the parenting culture in France, and am super intrigued by it. One thing I've never done is baby-proofed the house. Everyone thought I was crazy, but I felt much better after reading that it was actually common in France as well. Why not just teach the kiddos instead of locking down the entire house??
kylee said…
P.S. - Love the picture on the post. Paddle boarding was a blast, and I'm heading back out to do it again on Saturday! I'm not sure I could convince my dog to sit still on the board though. I may be able to train a kid, but I'm not great at training dogs. :)
Lori said…
have you read ken robinson’s new book “finding your element”? i just got it, but i haven’t had time to read it yet! (looks good, though. :)

thank you so much for mentioning my book! :) i would only say — it’s not actually for or about unschoolers only. I fervently believe *all* kids (homeschooled or not, for that matter) deserve to dedicate some of their learning time to self-directed projects. PBH folds into any learning style! :)

(and writing a book is *hard*, yo — blogging is so much easier. ;o)

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron