Skip to main content

Wide Open Spaces


We've been here for over eight months now. I can't believe it's already nearly a year and that that's all. The places we have explored, the activities and events we've gone to, the summer camps we walked to, all make our time seem faster than it is. The grey skies, the low-hanging fog for long, continuous days, and the simple routine we've gotten ourselves into has slowed down time in our favor.

I don't remember saying 'yes' to things I didn't want to say yes to back in Lincoln, but I remember having to quit something every so often just to catch my breath. I was over-booked and our days were going at warp-speed. There was never enough time for too many things. At least, I felt that way. I made lists every day of 10+ items that I thought had to be done that day, instead of that month. It was pure nuts. I look back at that time and I wonder how we didn't drain the life out of our marriage, and our family.

After moving here, we had nothing but time. We had no commitments, no church involvement, and nothing 'on the calendar' except Stefan's job and commute aside from a few old friends and some family get-togethers (thank you). We had a wide, open schedule with no particular rules, regulations, or expectations other than to see the area and go play at the beach once in awhile. This was relief and anxiety inducing. Equal parts. Do you see where I'm going with this?


We had to make our own fun, and stretch our time out during the days. Stefan was leaving the house right when the kids got up, and getting home about an hour before their bedtime. Those six months were really hard. I hadn't been that exhausted since they were infants 18 months apart and both in diapers. The thing most taxing? Just trying to keep calm and cheerful for a suspended 12 or so hours. Can introverts even do that without spontaneously combusting?  Our evenings together, also blank slates, were a welcome relief but interrupted fairly often with needy children, who had too much of mom and too little of dad.

I knew that the long days wouldn't last, that he'd eventually be able to have better hours (he does, it's awesome), and that we'd settle into a better routine, and we have. I just can't believe how long all of that has taken us. I'm an efficient 'get things done' person, perfectionist inclined, internally motivated, with the work ethic of a draft horse so for awhile I was a little lost as to what I was supposed to be doing.

Turns out, not much. I was 'on leave' from my regular life and I have learned a lot about how I want to handle my future time: my own, and my family's. I stopped making those ridiculous lists and gave in to "it'll get done later". The laundry really doesn't ever end. There will always be a dirty dish somewhere, and it will be lumped together in the next load. Did you know there's an app for USPS to pick up your mail if you live in an apartment? I felt like I had tricked life into squeezing me a few extra hours with all this freedom.



Gradually, we have added things to our weekly routine. Community meals every Wednesday night, a Bible study and some homeschool co-op classes for Lukka once a week, and little by little getting involved in our community and church life where we can is what we've found enjoyable and worth our time. I'm glad I have the knowledge and drive to find things fun to do in our area, because we've enjoyed so much out of this place. I'm also thankful for the quiet aspect of small-town living, where each evening we have to share together. Just last night we (all four of us) made dinner together, ate an enjoyable meal together, and often go around the block on a nightly walk. We put the kids to bed after a few stories and 'jam time', and we have a few hours to linger together, just him and I, before we turn in (early) for the night.

This transition has brought peace and time back to our family. I have always had Big Thoughts About Intentionality, but we've really honed down what is important to us these past few months. We've trimmed the fat even more, and we've been able to start projects we've laid aside in the rush of our culture, our mentality; 'I'm just so busy'. I used to say, think, and feel that all the time. 
We're not anymore, and I've realized when you stop saying that about your situation a few things happen: 1) If you ARE too busy, you realize you're doing too many things you don't want to be doing; 2) you are making yourself feel busier than you are by looking at simple, enjoyable, or life- tasks (i.e. laundry) and trying to check them off every day without ever feeling caught up; lastly, 3) you are being busy at the expense of those you love or 4) you don't feel busy at all, instead, you just feel content and your time feels reinvigorated with gifts that matter. Which sounds like the best scenario?

Have you ever wanted to throw your daily to do list? I have gone from a 10+ item daily list, to a weekly list, and now, to a monthly list, and it has been a huge blessing in my life. I have margin. I don't feel self-imposed pressure to get non-consequential things done, and I have put back Important Things in my life. If you don't feel like you could do this, just try it for one day, and see how rested you feel. I dare you.

*This blog post's title, Wide Open Spaces, comes from a Dixie Chicks song of the same title. 

Comments

renee @ FIMBY said…
Sarah, This was beautiful and challenging, in good ways. I experienced the same thing after our move because we had yet to add commitments to our lives, the commitments that come from being in a community for years.

I will say our life is busy but it is good. I make a "scratch pad" to-do list for the week. But every week starts as a blank piece of paper. I can't believe I used to have daily to-do lists when my kids were little, like what did I need to write down all that much?

I even used to need a monday morning planning session to figure out the week. Now the week just rolls out itself. We follow a daily and weekly routine. Trips to town on such and such days, who cooks what meals and when. some things are penciled in - when we write, exercise and do lessons but then the "to-dos' for those times are open. If that makes any sense.

I seriously can move through days at a time with never checking a list to see what needs to be accomplished. this is new for me (smile).

Maybe I've internalized it all but I think I just don't care as much about the things that don't matter to me right now, the things that aren't priorities to our family.

I like to have a chat with the kids on Monday about what our week is like (based on the calendar) and ask them "what are your goals this week?" and then we move through our days working on those things.

I love it.

Anyway, I loved your post and thinking about where and how I can link to it at FIMBY. Tweeted already this am.

xo,
REnee

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron