Skip to main content

What is that button?...And what the heck is the Appalachian Trail?



There is a new button on the blog to the left o this post, called Beyond Our Boundaries. This button will take you to the site of a family that will be documenting their thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. Yes, they are taking their kids! Renee, the creator and writer for FIMBY (Fun In My BackYard) is gearing up as over the next few days to start their trip south, to come back up north again come Fall. The Tougas family is a homeschooling family with pre-teen and teenaged children who are outdoor adventurers. A lot of what FIMBY is, is about outdoor adventure and freedom living.

While they are hiking the trail,  from Georgia up through Maine, they are documenting their family's journey with a streaming series of episodes. The first two are already up, and for kickstarter participants who gave a certain level and above (that'd be me, if you couldn't guess already), and running for viewing. That's where internet friends come in. I'm hosting this button on the blog so if you think something like that might be interesting to yourself, or for your family to watch, I'm happy to show you the access page. For the disclaimer, there is a percentage of kickback for affiliates (that's also me) if you purchase through my link, but honestly, even before I found that out, I would have put the button on anyway, free of charge. I love what these guys are doing.

If you're remotely intrigued by this adventure, I'd like you to take a look at this list of who this series is for. There are different levels of subscription and frankly, mine was the cheapest version, but I still get to sit back and watch. This list is taken with permission from FIMBY's blog:


Who is this video series for?

  • Homeschoolers. This is family homeschool project, featuring real homeschool kids having an amazing adventure and working with their parents to produce a video series. Kids feature big in this project. And homeschooling is what allows us the freedom to explore and adventure together.
  • Families seeking outdoor inspiration. Everyone knows, or at least I hope they do, that spending lots of time outdoors and being physically active is a healthier way to live. This series will inspire you to pursue physical activity outdoors. And it will specifically help your family figure out the how-tos of hiking and backpacking.
  • People wanting to live intentional and adventurous lives. Yes, this is a series about backpacking, but it's so much more than that. It's about thinking outside the box (together), pushing beyond the boundaries of how families are expected to live. Be ready to challenge your assumptions because we're leaving normal behind.
  • Simple living enthusiasts. We are living six months in woods, carrying everything we need on our backs, and sleeping in tents. Talk about the ultimate family downsizing. What do people - mothers, fathers, teens, children really need to live well and enjoy life? Follow the series to find out.
  • People who like good stories. At the heart of this project is a story about a family going through challenges and incredible experiences together. Whether you are interested in hiking or not, you will want to be a part of this adventure.

This series is for YOU.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To: DIY Sand/Water Table

How To: Build A Sand/Water Table for Under $30 ! Sorry this took me so long to blog, but I had to have a tool list and full instructions before I could do so. A little history on my love for the sand/water table . I love the idea behind tools for tiny hands, i.e. the Montessori Method , and like to have Lukka 'figure things out for himself', even when he is playing. I try to have the most simple and basic toys available for 3 reasons: a) simple toys generally have less parts, which means less of a hassle for me b) simple toys inspire way more creativity and imagination than do 'exact replica' toys c) they are much more aesthetically pleasing to look at, therefore, not making every nook and cranny of our house an eyesore! I know the last reason is just for me, but it's true. Plastic things don't generally last 1/2 as long as wooden or fabric toys, and they are unattractive. For this reason, I started to look for a wooden sand/water table as opposed to a pl...

{This Moment}

Join as we savor moments to remember from the week.

We've Gone and Done It

We are in the midst of packing up, and moving. Not just any move, but The Move we've been trying to accomplish for years now. We're heading up to (Washington) Canada. In the last couple of months Stefan had been talking to a potential employer up in Richmond, British Columbia , and after a very swift interview process they offered him the job. Small and large details aside, he accepted and plans to start on February 25th. We leave one week earlier, on the 18th. That's literally just over 2 weeks from when you will read this. We told family and close friends first, and while we haven't been keeping it a huge secret, our church, as a whole, did not know until last night because it was then we could tell everyone at our seasonal congregational meeting what our plans were in person, and with many of them all at once. I didn't want to say anything online until that happened. We've been steadily spending heaps of time with friends and family, all while slowly p...