Skip to main content

What I Read in December


Crescent Beach Pier

I had plenty of reading time this month, making up for November, and I finished 6 books and started 2 more on the 30th & 31st. Another year full of books! I averaged a book a week, which is pretty good. I wish I could read like crazy Modern Mrs. Darcy and hit a couple hundred, but 50+ still feels really good, and that's just reading for me, not including the novels I read to the kids for homeschool, picture books from the library, etc. What was your favorite book of 2014?

*Small Victories by Anne Lamott // This is Anne's newest book and you can bet your sweet face that I had that on order from the library the minute I found out about it. This book is a lot about cancer and death, and "it just is this side" than her others, but is still quirky and wonderful Anne. It's a book more similar to Help, Thanks, Wow, and Stitches, even the sizing of the book, and lucky for us it's a little bit thicker, too. A+, Anne. If you're new to Anne Lamott, you might want to read this series of hers first. She'll catch ya', hook, line, and sinker with those.

*Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kahling // Second female comedian book (Amy coming in 2015!) I've read. This felt like a really random book of thoughts by Mindy, but it was funny and although I've barely watched The Office (like, embarassingly few episodes) and haven't started The Mindy Project yet, I sorta' feel like I know her. The best part about this book is the androgynous picture and caption on the back of the book. Made me laugh for days. I'll get around to TMP, since it's on Netflix, but this didn't make me want to watch every single thing she's done, more just root for her as a female in comedy. Or whatever.

*A Bird on Water Street by Elizabeth O. Dulemba // I found the plot of this book intriguing--it's about a small Appalacian mining community on the cusp of an entire overhaul of union practices and nature regeneration. It's based on an actual place that literally had no green or living things around it because of the mining, and I love a good true story. I even found the notes in the back of the book enlightening and Dulemba inserts a number of photos that show the dirt. That was the landscape--dirt and buildings. It's a young adult novel and I read it while traveling, and I enjoyed it.

*Blue Birds by Caroline Starr Rose // This book I read as a review reader and will do a longer post on the blog in January. What I can tell you is this: this book is beautiful, starting with the cover, and ending with the last poem. I think I read this book in two days, and Rose's book has a really quick pace to it, so I could have read it in one, but I really needed to put it down to go to bed! It's a story about friendship, cultural clashes, and the history of the Pilgrims and natives on Roanoke Island.

*168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think by Laura Vanderkam // Well, I suppose this book seems sort of out of place with all these YA novels (3! in one month!) and memoirs, but I do love a good nonfiction + time management read. This book's subtitle says it all: you have more time than you think. Vanderkam has a pretty fluid writing voice and so it's easy to keep reading the anecdotes and the study summaries she does to prove her point that our culture has the most amount of leisurely hours in a week in the history of the world. "We" always say we'd like to do xyz, and always cite lack of time for the reason we never hit those goals, and just like that, we're 20 or more years behind on what we actually wanted to do with our lives. This book didn't get great reviews that I saw, but I was intrigued by the title and I enjoyed it. Who else might like it? Type Aers and fellow female INTJs. Unite, efficient friends!


*Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell // I actually posted on facebook that the first 50 pages were boring me, but I had read So. Many. Effing. loving reviews of this YA novel that I had to finish, and the humor was catchy. Well, right after page 50 things start picking up and I read this in one day. Nearly 400 pages (not verse) in ONE day. That's got to be a record for me, I'm not a fast reader. This book is about 2 kids who meet on the bus, and how they accidentally, and weirdly, fall in love. Eleanor has a crappy home life, and Park is that quiet nerdy guy in your high school with a heart of gold. It really should be a movie. It probably will be, since The Fault in our Stars got to be. I liked it. I'd recommend it. I didn't fawn over it, but it was really good. Also, Rainbow Rowell? Best author name ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron