Skip to main content

The Rule of Threes

Costco aftermath

This is what my kitchen looks like for at least an hour after a Costco trip. I haul in everything after an exhausting journey through the busiest store (seemingly) in this country and I just can't do a dang thing more. For an hour. While I get a breather. And eat some obligatory reward chocolate.
Eventually I'll get to those piles and everything will be put in it's proper place, but usually it stays like this for that necessary hour. 

                                                                          ***
I don't think I'm alone in sensing that our culture has gone hog-wild with unrealistic expectations in just about every department, and I want to tell my friends, and anyone else who will listen, that we can only do so much in a day.
 My husband once told me a friend of his pondered the busy-ness of our modern lives and said something to the effect of, "God gives us just enough time in the day to do only the things we need to do." My response? "Well of course a man said that!" I really was only half joking.

All humor aside, since becoming a parent, I have felt more expectations than I ever had in my combined 22 years before that. We all feel pressure to have a neat and tidy house, dinner on the table (and healthy! just the 'healthy' options tire me out), neat and tidy and calm, obedient children, endlessly participate in said children's academic and extracurricular lives, have a great marriage that is always given an ample amount of attention, keep in touch with friends on a regular basis, and obviously have a pinterest-worthy hobby or two or five. Sometimes, I have a hard time figuring out what's not only realistic, but what my own expectations are of myself, or if I'm tag-teaming on other people's priorities just because we all know what everyone else is doing (thanks internet).

When my kids were toddlers and they are only interested in a specific toy, book, or activity for less than 5 minutes each, your house is essentially ruined for what feels like a decade. For me, realistically, it was chaotic for 5 years, only because I have two children. The more children, the more you can up those years of your house looking like it was the setting for Twister. This is when the Rule of Threes came to me. Probably when I was blankly staring at a wall for an hour in silence when they napped, trying to figure how to get my bone-tired bum off the couch and start the next thing that needed prepped to keep the house running like a well-oiled, clean machine. 

The Rule of Threes is simply this: you can have one main thing happen well in a house where children also live. Those three 'things' are the following: 
a) dinner made and ready to eat
b) a clean house
c) happy, calm children engaging with mom.

Honestly. That's it. It's realistic to have one of those things happen every evening around witching hour dinner time. It's superhuman to have two of them done by the time my husband walks in the door. If all three are happening at the same time? You should look for bodies, because mommy has gone loco and you walked into Crazytown. She will take out her suppressed rage on you when the kids are tucked in, so best just scoot her out the door with a $20 and kiss her goodbye for the evening. 

Sure, I've had enough 'twofer' days in my time, and it eases up a bit when the kids are old enough to actually engage in meaningful chores like prepping dinner, vacuuming, cleaning  bathrooms, etc., but often when two of those things are happening, I'm about ready to spontaneously combust. It's just not worth my adrenal gland shrinkage and my husband walking into a warzone. 

Plus, the house is dirty 10 minutes later anyway. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh my. So true!!! Love this, just discovered your blog!

Popular posts from this blog

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron