Skip to main content

What I Read in February

Crescent Beach trail in White Rock 

*The Dip by Seth Godin This book was so tiny! I was surprised when I got it via paperbackswap and it's basically a novella. Well, a non-fiction one. A 70+ pager. I used to follow Seth's inspiring and interesting (and minimalist in the best sense) blog and I had wanted to read a book written by him. This one was on my PBS list and it became available (for free) so I snagged it up. I think I read it in one sitting and it was entertaining. It was about when to know if you need to quit, and when you need to keep waiting on the uphill slope because you're soclose and nearlythere. My recommendation? This would be an excellent gift for a recent high school or college grad. It's applicable to everyone, but I'd narrow it down even more.

*A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle Well. This book was simply charming in every sense of the word. I was waiting no-so-patiently for my holds at the library and knew it'd be a week or two (or three!) before I got the first one, and I remember finding this little gem at the local Salvation Army for $1. I am so glad I bought it because I have two people already who I want to pass it on to. This is a memoir of Mayle's and his wife's first year, broken up by chapters of each month, of their year renovating an old villa in Provence, in France. The writing is top-notch. The descriptions of the food would make Julia Child salivate, and the descriptions of people and places in this rural (yet during the summer touristy) place are parfait! It was great fun to read in dreary and rainy winter, where I was transported to sunny vineyards and quirky neighborhood bistros. Loved it.

Currently Reading:

*Yes, Please by Amy Poehler Although I'm technically one day late, I'll probably finish Miss Poehler's book today, since I only have 100 pages left and it's a fast one. In this memoir Amy talks about all the places she's lived and worked doing improv before hitting Saturday Night Live, growing up in a great family, and spreading hilarious tips and tricks about all things life. I don't know much about her but I'm really enjoying her book. Any book that I am laughing out loud in the preface is usually going down in my book as a good read. Usually only David Sedaris gets that kind of credit, but this has had me laughing out loud a lot. She's lewd, anxious, and cusses a lot, but she seems to have a heart of gold as well. I waited for three months (!) for this book and I'll have it done in 3 days tops. She's in high demand. Wouldn't recommend this to people who get offended by language, drug or sexual content and the like, but I'm having some good laughs myself.

*A Circle of Quiet by Madeline L'Engle  This is the first of 3 of the Crosswicks Journals, nonfiction letters (of sorts) written by L'Engle telling, I presume, part of her life's story, part of her stories' lives, and part spiritual memoir in all of it. I'll leave more of a review when I finish it!

What did you read recently that you loved? Leave it in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron