Ani and Lukka's ship, "The Bullfrog"
I've seen a few of these posts running around the internet, and I can definitely get behind this. Oh, February has hit, and it's longer this year. Normally January is the month out of the 12 that I dislike because it feels like nothing ever happens in January. I look forward to my daughter's birthday mid-February, and there's planning and gift-buying for her, which I enjoy. I know a lot of people dislike February because it's the last month of winter without the festivities and all of the gray rainy days, or the winter snowstorms. It's a good time for a "What's Saving My Life" type of post, wouldn't you agree? Here's my list:
1) Oranges. Oh my word, I cannot get enough of Ralph's navel oranges. I bought six because they looked so good, and then 3 days later went back for six more because the first batch was gone. Citrus in general is in season during January and February, which is perfect for all that vitamin C immunity-boosting. Did I mention I'm the only one in the house eating them?
2) The local Mexican Market. This place is so tiny I can't even find a website for it, but I recently came across, joy of joys!, a Mexican market stocked with delicious corn tortillas, and cans and cans of my favorite chilis I can't find in the stores here. I never knew how much I'd miss Mexican food until moving to a place with relatively few selections. I make my house recipe of pico de gallo weekly, and now knowing where a local place is to get real tortillas and cotija cheese makes me very, very happy.
3) Three library systems. I know. It's a little obnoxious to say I belong and use three library systems, but it's true. I still go to Blaine, WA frequently enough that I can easily pop over to the library, see one of my favorite librarians and hopefully some old friends, and all the American published books that I can't get in Canada. I also belong (and visit weekly) two local BC library systems.
4) Spilled Milk podcast. One of my favorite things about Thursdays when a new episode appears, I know that while I'm cooking, I'm going to be laughing my butt off with the shenanigans of Matthew Amster-Burton and Molly Wizenburg. I don't particularly enjoy cooking and/or baking, it's because of necessity that I do it. At least on Thursdays, I can be highly entertained with explicit and hilarious foodie content.
5) Parenthood. I might be the last 30-something to watch this show, but it has phenomenal writing and just the storyline I need right now. I love the show for its realness and I love watching one episode per quiet night after everyone has gone to sleep. This was, of course, the next logical step for Lauren Graham after playing one of my favorite TV characters of all time, Lorelai Gilmore, and yet I love (nearly) all the characters equally. Who's your favorite?
6) My Abbotsford bible study group. Because when nothing, and I mean nothing can get me to go out or do anything but read after it's dark at night here, I look forward to Wednesday nights every week. Quite a feat, since I'm a morning girl.
7) Fort-Making and Boat-Building. That photo up top is my kids' rendition of Mokie & Bik's Bullfrog, a ship from a novel that Lukka read aloud to me. I love his ingenuity in using what we have to recreate every part of the ship, and Ani's playful spirit to go along with whatever he's doing. Later, Ma & Pa Wilder's covered wagon was seen 'round these parts.
8) Emily P. Freeman's Monday Prayers. I think you may really enjoy these whether you consider yourself spiritual or not. They are salutations to start off the week quietly; in peace, wonder, confession, and worship, and I love every single one for different reasons.