Skip to main content

March Reads (2016)

a cozy night by the fire reading

I read a lot of great stuff in March! Here's the list: 

*Still Alice by Lisa Genova - I loved this book. It's about a Harvard professor who is diagnosed with early-onset, progressive Alzheimers.  It has everything I like in a novel: relationships, direct description (no slogging through flowery prose here), an amazing plot, well-executed writing, and a sweet ending. I would definitely read anything else Genova has written or writes in the future, and I appreciated her structure and her terse description. This book helped me understand the disease so much more than I knew. When doctors or professionals write books and stay within their field of knowledge, it does so much for a book, and this one is in that category (she has a Harvard degree in neuroscience). Four bright stars, and I'm watching the movie soon!

*Down the Rabbit Hole by Holly Madison -- I read this memoir by former playboy bunny girlfriend in about 24 hours, but not because it was overly enticing (nothing surprising here, folks) but because it was very readable and I was rooting for Holly and wanted to see how she changed her life, i.e. leaving the Playboy mansion. Some of the details of the grounds and house, the company, and the routines were interesting to read about, but really it's Holly's story of her control by "Hef", cat fights with the other girls, and becoming a whole person again. This book is not about the sex, if you're looking for that go read The Happy Hooker, but I love memoirs and when I saw this at Chapters I knew I wanted to read it. When I saw it on my library's shelf, I snagged it and knew it'd be a quick read. Three stars for content, and an extra for Holly's courage.

*Boys Adrift by Dr. Leonard Sax -- This nonfiction book should be top priority in getting ahold of if you still have young boys or men at home, or if your kids are having kids! It's that important. There are five 'factors' that Dr. Sax writes about in this book that show why our current batch of boys seem lazy, unmotivated, and directionless, and it's fascinating. Sax writes books that are very easy to understand, with plenty of examples from his profession to illustrate his points. He backs up everything with research and now that I've read two of his four books and regarded both highly, I put the other two on hold. 

*At the Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier -- Have you read Girl With the Pearl Earring or listened to Chevalier's TED talk? She is one of my favorite historical fiction writers because she chooses an object-usually just one object- and obsesses about it, researches it until it's completely wrung out, and then writes a book around it. Her writing has taken a turn in the last few books from famous historical paintings to now Americana items such as quilts, and in her newest, apple varieties. This book is lovely to read, but it's more vulgar and graphic than her others. Not that that's a bad thing-it goes well with the story and must be told that way, but if you're queasy, I'd give a hard think if you want to continue. If you don't get the stomach churnings from readings (I don't, I have to see it to feel sick, which is why I've never understood why people WATCH surgeries being performed. Weirdos.), than you're fine. You'll like it. 

*Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel -- This book was probably my least favorite this month, even though I love dystopian/futuristic fiction. It was a page-turner, and with short chapters and jumping around from character to character, the book went fast, but I didn't think it was excellent by any means. The story is about a flu that depletes the vast majority of the world, and the people who are surviving in the aftermath. The stories come together in interesting yet predictable ways, and a few of the subplots were what held my attention. I give it 3 stars and a shrug of the shoulders.

*The Holy Spirit by Billy Graham - We all have different quirks as it comes to the topics we like to learn about, research, or dig deeper into, and the Holy Spirit is one of those for me. The bible says little about Him, but being as He is a person of the trinity, I am always wanting to know more about Him. I was mentioning to a friend recently that I hadn't read any good books on the Holy Spirit, and she suggested a title that I'd never read...by a very famous Christian author and evangelist-Billy Graham. I've never read anything by him, but out of all the books I've read on the Holy Spirit, this has been the best so far. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron