Skip to main content

June Titles (2016)


I can't remember where this photo is from, but it's not mine.

I did not get a ton of books read this month. June for me was like December is for everyone else....bonkers! I read (but didn't finish) a very slow-going classic, and then tried to play catch up with book candy the rest of the month. I read a bit of books here and there that I haven't finished for one reason or another, but to be honest I wasn't excited about them. We did, however, read a lot of great books via audio with the kids!

*The Progeny by Tosca Lee - This was what I call a "candy book". It's just total fun, easy, and a thriller or page-turner (both, in this case). I love Lee's historical fiction books that generally lead toward biblical history, and this was her first of hers that is not in that category. This story was about a girl who is Progeny--a long line of nobility that has strong powers--that come from a Hungarian noblewoman named Elizabeth Bathory. The graphic parts of this book are very light (they don't go into much detail) and the historicity that is in the book are more about old languages; numerals, underground caverns, and Franciscan monks. It was fun!

*The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje - This book is a glittering, poetic book about four very different people, intersecting in WWII, and their story of survival, love, and loss. It was a book club book and although I probably never would have picked this book up because Elaine hated the movie, I'm glad I stayed the course. It took me an incredibly long time to read this (think 30 pages per hour) because the detail is thick, the time sequences sketchy, and the story bizarre at times. If you're looking for a beach read, skip this one, this is a savor book, perhaps best read over a long break, like Christmas or a rainy Spring break.

*Stiff by Mary Roach - I have been "reading" this book for months and have kept stalling when I had a book club book to finish, got interested in something else, or just wanted something lighter. Ahem. This book really is about what happens after you die. Like, the scientific, the grotesque, the fascinating, and the literal. Mary Roach is one of the funniest nonfiction writers because even she can make dark jokes about a very morbid subject. It's laugh out loud funny at times but not for the squeamish. If you've ever wondered the history of the guillotine, how med students practice for surgery in med school, and have heard a weird rumor that a head transplant can actually be done, this book is for you. Others, just watch the surgery channel and see if you can hack it (pun intended). If not? Let this one lie (sorry! last one).

Read Aloud/ Listened to with kids:

*Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder - We listened to this story on audio and what a relief it has been not to read aloud these very detailed stories of Laura and her very detailed life! I love the stories, but after about five or six of these aloud, I'm fully ready to give the voice to another person who has enthusiasm in their voice (thanks Cherry Jones!). This story is about sending Mary to the college of the blind, all that happens in the town after the long winter, and Laura's restlessness and angst as she gets older-too old to play, but too young to be an adult.

*These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder - This is another audio we listened to and the second last in the series. I can't believe we'll finish them in early summer. It feels like a major accomplishment! My kids really enjoyed this story, as Laura starts teaching, Almanzo and his beautiful horses come pick her up every Friday night, and the rest...well, you'll just have to read it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just to let you know - I always bake my bread with buttermilk and water. Since i keep it at the right, cold temperature, I use it up to 14 days after 'best before'. Shake it well, taste it - and use it, if it's still smells/tastes good. Try baking an Irish soda bread. If you and your kids don't drink it, you could make warm 'buttermilk soup' (a direct Danish translation!). I'm sure, your kids will like it, especially if you serve it with some raisins in. (You were asking on another blog if you could use it after 'best before'!)
A Danish baker

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron