Skip to main content

July Titles // 2018


Although this stack was technically (mostly) read in June, it was a pretty picture that I wanted to post. The peonies were in full bloom and I had the whole summer ahead of me. Now, at the end of July I'm pooped! A lot of camping, trips, play dates, swimming, and just general outdoor mayhem of summer here leaves me feeling unbalanced and depleted. You feel like you waste it if you don't use it (the summer that is) because it rains so much of the rest of the year. Right now I'm desperate for 1-2 days of rain, but although that's not in the forecast, I'm just going to have to black-mark with an X a few days on the horizon to recover from so much going! That's where I'm thankful I'm a reader.

*Parenting Chaos by Shawna Wingert - This is a short and independently published book about explosive children. I'm going to be honest, I just needed to read this for comparison's sake. I have one child who, to me, feels equal to about three children, and I just needed a breather and for someone to tell me it'll get better. It did that a little , but I hope there will be another, longer memoir-ish book about this period when this author's child is older, as the whole story hasn't unfolded yet.

*Off the Clock by Laura Vanderkam - One of my favorite authors who is articulate, smart, and direct (#INTJlove) in her writing, has put forth her best book yet. Off the Clock is all about how our full lives can feel content rather than chaotic with savoring, remembering, and enjoying. If you're a business book reader or someone who loves a good growth nonfiction book, you might really enjoy this one!

*Calypso by David Sedaris - Another of my favorite authors, Sedaris' last few books have been misses with me, but his older stuff is genuine gold. This book of short, humorous essays is much more cohesive, in my opinion, than any of his other books, and it's laugh out loud funny. Just like the old days. Loved it!

*Return to Dignity by Marilyn Skinner - This book shares the story of 10 women who have started working for or living at Living Hope within the Watoto ministry in Uganda. Their stories are so hard to read, but these women are so brave and strong. I saw Watoto's children's choir earlier in the month and wanted to know more, and bought the book at their vendor table.

* The Reason You Walk by Wab Kinew - This is the memoir, really, of two generations, Wab (Kwekwekipiness kidizhinikaaz), and his father, Tobasonakwut. Tobasonakwut survived the residential school he went to in northern Ontario, and Wab is the child of a survivor--the awful experience touching more than just one generation. It is also about the interaction between the media (Wab works for CBC, etc.) and Canada's Truth & Reconciliation commission in it's first few years, which I found really interesting. I love memoirs, so I was pretty sure I was going to enjoy this one. A friend recommended this book to me as I mentioned I'd like to read more stories from First Nations authors, and a memoir is a good place to start.

*Making Life Rich Without Any Money by Phil Calloway - This is a collection of short, funny essays that show 'the stuff' of life that is priceless: memories, family, friendships, etc. The stories aren't connected except in topic, but honestly I didn't find them all that different from principle 1 to principle 6. The main point? Love your family and friends, and spend money on things that matter--people and save wisely (without greed) and you'll be balanced. I heard Calloway speak at our church and he was very funny. I bought two other books that I have yet to read, one about parenting, and one called "Tricks My Dog Taught Me" that I plan to read to my kids as a devotional.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron