Skip to main content

August Titles // 2018


August was a month that -on paper-should have been a decent reading month. Of the days we were camping or away, I had a bit of time to myself, and although we had lots of kid-goings-ons (looking at you, birthday parties, sleepovers, special activities like Theater Under the Stars) and we wrapped up the month with spending as much time as possible over the last few weeks with our backyard neighbors who just last Sunday moved out of province. It felt more busy than it probably was, but with my free time being occupied with prepping for our next thing, or just trying to stay on top of basic tasks, and some preliminary planning for a few things down the pipeline that are homeschool related, I just had little brain space left to absorb anything. I was happy to finish our first month's pick for book club, and now am working my way through another (An American Marriage) for the next week. Waving the white flag on a short reading month:

*The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - This was not only a book club pick for our first month back, it's been on my TBR list for ages. I was so happy to get it read, especially as I have the hulu season 1 of the same show on my library holds. This book is about a woman (Ofred) who is of child-bearing years and must be a 'vessel' through which a baby can come into her Commander's household, and given to him and his wife. It's a dystopian novel that is well-written, really interesting, and very, very horrific (as all dystopian novels should be?). I love this genre because I think it's very interesting to think about the consequences of freedoms being taken away, religion taking over, or some other type of government turnaround in a large (and usually atheistic) way. Good food for thought. I loved it.

*I Thought I Had Answers.... Now I Have Kids by Phil Calloway - This was another book I had bought when Calloway gave the message at our church awhile back and it was very cute and humorous, but I won't keep this one either, but pass it along. Good, but not great. I'm reading the third and final book of his that I purchased (I'm pretty sure it was buy 2 get 1 free, but I can't remember!) to the kids, called Tricks My Dog Taught Me, which they are enjoying a lot.

*Everybody, Always by Bob Goff - Love Does, Goff's first book that came out about 5 years ago was phenomenal, and I knew I'd pick up his new one as soon as it hit the shelves. I found out my library had it and no one had it on hold...I could hardly believe it. Just as funny, full of heart, and totally wild as the first, it did not disappoint. One of my favorite parts of this book was the 'epilogue', where he gives an update to all the people or stories he shared in the book! Bob Goff just helps you love people more. We all need that kind of encouragement once in awhile.

Read Aloud with the Kids

*Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling - The sixth book in the series might be my new favorite. I didn't remember much about this book (except the ending, and who the Prince really was), but I loved re-reading it. The depth of character background Rowling gives to important characters make such a good read, and the story layers in this series just absolutely amaze me. It's been so fun reading this series to my kids, but I am happy that we're on the last one! It'll be nearly 4,300 pages before it's all said and done!

Comments

Anonymous said…
We loved this series, too!

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron