Skip to main content

July Titles // 2019


I literally can't believe I read this many books in July. Now, mind you, I probably finished three the first week that I had been reading for some time, so that feels like cheating a bit, but I found myself very busy, with a lot of restless energy, and very little desire to read especially towards the end of the month. My brain is feeling overloaded from so much. I'm specifically not planning any outings for myself or the kids the last two weeks in August because hoo-boy do I need to actually start planning our homeschool year. 

The Wondering Years by Knox McCoy - This is a memoir from a co-host of the popcast, which isn't a podcast I listen to, but a friend of mine does and she loaned me the book because hello! 80s and 90s pop culture references! It was funny and I enjoyed it but the Christianese message at the end of most chapters I found to be a bit corny.

Start From the Heart by Kathy Koch - This was a book I got from my mother-in-law at the beginning of the summer and it had some excellent advice. I'd say this is a wonderful book for any parent or caregiver starting when the child is about two onward. It gives practical tips like "make sure your praise is very specific" and building in intentional time with your kids with their 'likes' in mind.

The Neuroscientist Who Lost Her Mind by Barbara K. Lipska - I loved this memoir because it was fascinating. The woman who wrote it is actually a neurologist (obvs.) who developed brain cancer and the part where her tumors rested made her, for a short time, have a mental health breakdown. She didn't see it in herself at the time because that's actually one of the symptoms (inhibitions and filters are lost), but she nearly lost her family in the meantime. Once the tumors weren't making her brain swell, she swung back into normal health and could see the changes for what they were--something she had studied her whole life. It's a short book but really interesting.

Helping Your Child with Language-Based Learning Disabilities by Daniel Franklin - This is one of the best books I've read about the topic to date. This book is all about cooperation and helping your child as opposed to making them struggle with LBLD throughout their school career, lowering expectations with academics, and helping them with strengths-based passions and having a growth mindset through their early adulthood. I strongly recommend anyone who has a child with a LBLD (dyslexia, adhd, etc.) read this book and gain encouragement!

Faith by Jimmy Carter - This was a short little book that grabbed my attention from my local library's New rack, and I read about a chapter per day. All I have to say is, this former president is an all-around amazing human being, and I'd like to read more of his books (he's so prolific!). The amount of things he has achieved, worked towards, and faithfully committed to in his lifetime is astounding.

Read Alouds with Kids

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall - We finally finished the Penderwicks! I think this read-aloud, which was very good by the way, took us so long because Lukka didn't want to read it. It's about 4 sisters and the neighbor boy they meet on a 5 week vacation, scrapes and mischief included. Ani really enjoyed it and it was well-written.

Love Does for Kids by Bob Goff - I first read Love Does years ago during my time in Blaine and recently got to see Bob Goff speak in Bellingham, WA, about a year ago. He's just as goofy and joyful as you'd expect him to be! This book (which is beautifully illustrated) involves some of the same stories, and a lot of new ones, edited down with middle-grade to middle-school kids in mind. My kids LOVED this book. There are so many wild and crazy stories that involve Bob and/or his kids, that are laugh-out-loud funny, and so many good points he makes at the end of each chapter about how Jesus just loved people. Highly recommend.

The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren - This slim little book was found in Nordiska, a cute little Scandanavian shop in Paulsbo, WA, when I was visiting a friend who lives out there. I recognized the author as the same from Pippi Longstocking, and picked it up. It's about 6 young children who are neighbors in (guessing) the 1950s, and all about their local mischief. The kids enjoyed this one, and the second to last chapter had us all laughing so hard we were crying!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron