Skip to main content

Non-fiction




If you read the first part of this series, you will know that this post will be about non-fiction books that have helped me understand the perspective of black, biracial, and indigenous people. I will make a note with each one as to which perspective it is written from, and why I included it. Following each post will be a few books that I am wanting/waiting to read. 
Reading is the primary way we can be put in another's shoes, understand a different perspective, and grow in empathy and compassion for those I do not share the same views with, or have just never been exposed to. It's one of the most influential acts we can do, as humans: read -> think -> grow. 

I've Been Meaning to Tell You by David Chariandy - This book is slim -it may not take you more than an hour or two to finish, but it's a father's story-letter to his daughter about his growing up as a minority and the roots of racism, along with infusing hope into the next generation for a better future. I wanted to read more Canadian authors and this piqued my interest because it was also a love letter to his teenager. 

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Another slim but mighty book written by Americanah author, this book is about her growing up and being labeled a feminist, and why it was always perceived as bad by others, but as true and right by her. Here is here TED talk about the same topic. 

Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela - This autobiography of a Nobel Peace Prize and presidency winner is lengthy but worthwhile for the incredible human spirit this man has. Mandela fought against racial inequality for years through the Apartheid in South Africa even after decades of imprisonment. It's a beautiful story and one you can also watch about as a movie. I first watched the movie The Power of One in high school or college and became interested in learning more about apartheid and Mandela. 

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah - This book came on my radar after watching Noah take his new role as the Daily Show host after Jon Stewart retired. I had no idea who Trevor Noah was but I love memoirs and decided to read it. His story is pretty unbelievable, especially how he became noticed for comedy. I've heard this book is best listened to because of the author speaking the audio; more than a couple people have recommended it that way. 

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson - This might be my favorite on the list. I found Stevenson's compassion, clarity, and storytelling to be top notch. This is the true story of Stevenson and the Equal Justice Initiative he started in Alabama, to help free death-row prisoners, and in turn, has really done a tremendous amount of work with getting death-row inmates released, and states' laws overturned. It's a powerful story, and very hard to read, but I will probably require my kids to read it once they're in high school.  

Becoming by Michelle Obama - This memoir of First Lady Michelle Obama has been so good. I loved learning about her growing up years. Unfortunately, I had to give this book back to the library right before Covid19 started, and was only 1/3 of the way through, so I haven't been able to finish it yet, but it's back on hold. Hopefully I'll get it again soon. 

The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X - I read this autobiography in high school and loved it. The reader could feel Malcolm X's powerful voice come through on every page. He was a rebellious kid (born in Nebraska!) and got into trouble as a youth until his conversion to Islam. Agree or disagree with his politics, he's certainly an American historical figure to look up. 

Left To Tell by Imamculee Ilibagiza - I read this memoir of a woman enduring the Rwandan genocide in a hidden bathroom for months while in college, having never heard of the genocide before then. This book is very graphic and hard book to read, but what's truly the crux of the story is how she was able to find God during this horrific experience, give up her fear of death, and forgive her family's killers. 

A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah - This book is another memoir that I read about a boy who was a child soldier in Sierra Leone. This book is heartbreaking. The things that were done to child soldiers, and what they were made to do...it's lucky any of the people made it to adulthood with their mind intact. It's a very graphic book but an important one to gain compassion for those who have had traumatic upbringings, and understanding why living with past trauma is another immense hurdle to jump over. 


Other:

The Reason You Walk by Wab Kinew - I recently read this memoir of indigenous author because I wanted to understand the racism towards indigenous peoples here in Canada; while learning about it through my church's annual trip to Mt. Currie. 

Black Like Me by John Griffin Howard - I can't remember, but I think I read this book in either junior high or early high school, and I still think about it often. Howard went undercover and posed as a black man during the Civil Rights Movement of the 60s in the South, and how he was treated changed his life. This will be another book that will be required reading for my kids. It is very powerful. 

Nurture Shock by Po Bronson + Ashley Merryman - This book has an excellent chapter that is pertient to this conversation: a chapter about how race gets passed down from parent to child, often inadvertently with disastrous consequences. You can read an excerpt of this chapter here. It's one of the best sociological books on parenting I've ever read. I still recommend it to parents of kids that are beginning school age. I don't often recommend parenting books, and this is probably not categorically one, but the information is important. 


Waiting/Wanting to Read

I'm Still Here by Austin Channing Brown - This has been on my To Be Read list for a long time since a friend of mine recommended it. It's time to move it up the list. 

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates - Any book that wins the National Book Award or the Pulitzer, will get my attention one way or another. This one the former within the last 5 years and again-it's been on my list but it's time to move it up. It sounds like a similar vein of Chariandy's above. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron