Skip to main content

March + April Titles // 2022

 

The last year of homeschooling was more intense than expected as far as reading aloud books to my teens. We've always done a lot of reading together, but now that the kids are older, the books are longer, more dense, and reading for my own gets pushed to the back burner because we are on a timeline (!) with finishing their books for Language Arts, Socials, and Science. I'm four months late, but want to keep tracking books every other month for a record of our days, so here we are-playing catch up. 

I can't actually remember when I read all these titles; the school books are clearer, but the others, I'm just guessing as to when they fell in either March or April. So many books I've abandoned or wasn't able to finish before the library due date (looking at you The Island of Missing Trees!) and I'd be remiss not to mention my attention just isn't what it used to be. I find it much harder to really sink into a book. It was nearly impossible for me to do during covid. Apparently that was a thing. I didn't feel it really ease up until this Spring. 

March Titles

*Agnes Pelton: Desert Transcendentalist  (Pheonix Art Museum) - I first found out about Agnes Pelton from Plough magazine or Joy Clarkson; but I just love her art. It reminds me of the mythical worlds that Madeleine L'Engle created in her writing. It's soothing, and interesting, and full of soft, mystical shapes and ideas. I read through this art book (ex. coffee table book) in a few days and learned about the artist's life and her work. 

* 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - This short little book was recommended to me by my friend Maria, who often shares excellent movies, TV, and books! I needed a little book win and something that wasn't fluff but was extremely funny or delightful. This 100 page book - that is really a compilation of decades of letters between a NYC writer and the staff at a well-known London bookstore--was both!

*Canadian Geographic (Mar/April Issue) - I love reading these every month and I always learn so much. This issue's cover story was all about Mt Logan- Canada's highest mountain peak. 


Read Alouds

*The Kite Rider by Geraldine McCoughrean - This read aloud was (admittedly) my kids' least favorite book because  it was just too predictable. The history portion (it was a part of Beautiful Feet Book's literature package for Intermediate Medieval Times) was very interesting, but the storyline was just a bit too tidy for my kids' taste. My son actually told me what would happen within the first 3 chapters, and he was correct. 

*The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse - Ani read this novel as a part of her Marine Biology science study this year, and she enjoyed this book. It's extremely easy to read, because  it's about a feral child who was raised by dolphins, and is learning to speak and write under the care of scientists. Although the story is very sad and the (young) audience is figuring out the ethics of her being studied while she learns to adapt to humanity, the information about how dolphins live together is why we read this book, and why she liked it. 

April Titles


*Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon - Kleon's first book was on my radar for a long time because his weekly newsletter (and near-daily blog) are on my list of favorites. He's witty, has excellent recommendations, and makes the most creative and colorful collage art that I find so visually attractive. His book that gives artists (of any stripe) tips is totally worth the look-through, especially if you're a visual learner. 

*Honey for a Teen's Heart by Gladys Hunt - I finally finished up this book that was in the trio of the books I had in the same series. I know they're a bit cheesy but I really enjoyed these. They were soft and quiet essays about reading and engaging others (ex. teens) in reading quality literature, and of course recommendations on what (your) teen might enjoy based on their interests. Honey for a Child's Heart is a book I'd recommend (over many others) to have to a family starting their homeschooling journey, or that just wants to fill their home and their kids' heart with a love of words and story. 

*How Not to Read the Bible by Dan Kimball - I first heard about this book from writer Natasha Crain, and she did a great job talking about the book; the cover looked promising, too. This book is more for people who are confused about Christianity's claims, want to know more, or need help explaining random blips from the bible to those who (unfortunately) hear something completely out of context. There were a ton of visuals in this book that I thought could be helpful. I'd call it a pre-apologetics book. 


Read Alouds

*Crispin by Avi - The kids enjoyed this read aloud about a boy who is orphaned during the Black Plague and has to find his way in the world alongside the English Peasant Revolts. He's taken in by a man - a jester - named Bear, and their relationship is a great part of the story. It's well-written, funny, and action-filled, making this a book that was easily read within two weeks. 

*Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Janet Gray - This book was also extremely well written, and also about a jester's son (!), but the plot was a bit strange: it's about a boy who travels all over England in just under a year trying to find his lost father and dog, and all the people he meets and sights he sees during that time period. The book won a Newberry Medal in 1943, so the writing was going to be higher caliber. The story was a bit slow, and a bit predictable, but my kids did enjoy it; a "solid good". 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron