Skip to main content

September + October Titles // 2022

 

a private property landscape after beaver-proofing saplings with A Rocha


Canadian Geographic Sept/Oct issue - Although this issue was interesting, the only thing I really remember from it was the article on how the soundscapes of nature are changing due to constant industrialization and development. You can read that article online HERE

This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel - This was the book I chose to lead with my book club, because I knew it would be a great conversation starter. This book is about a boy who transitions into becoming a girl at a very young age, and about the family as a whole with how to deal with that situation, along with the aftermath of friends 'finding out' after years of knowing the child as a girl. I will say, I found some of this book was trite and unappealing, but the general theme of the story was a fast way to have a controversial conversation-something I love!

A Man with a Rake by Ted Kooser - Although I love Ted Kooser, this is the only time I've been a bit miffed at the high price tag for the (very few) poems. Of course, they're typical Kooser fashion (which I highly enjoy) but the con unfortunately outweighs the pros on this one. I'll always read Ted Kooser, but I might be more selective with purchasing his books. 

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro - This book was so weird and wonderful! I followed along on Joy Clarkson's online book club and podcast, because it's a book I'd heard about and wanted to read anyway. It was good accountability. It's about a girl and an AI 'friend', Klara, and what her purpose ultimately is, what the culture is doing to their children, and what should be done next. I would label this under sci-fi or futurism, along with a good dose of ethics. 

Seen: Rachel Carson by Bridie Willis - This was a comic book that I read along with Ani (back and forth) about scientist and primary ecologist Rachel Carson. Anikka loved it, and I thought it told her biography in a beautiful way. It was informative, well-written, and concise. This is my year of comic books because I've read (and am currently reading) quite a few!



Read Alouds: 

Ship by David MacCaulay - This is a large fictional picture-book, but written in that typical MacCaulay style where all the historical, architectural, and scientific data is included in the story but woven in so carefully you think you're just absorbing facts by way of an interesting story. The kids studied a ship (from 1400-1600s) of their choice for a Socials project earlier this year. Highly recommend anything by this author. 

The Prince & The Pauper by Mark Twain - I had never read any Mark Twain aside from abridged versions of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, but boy is he funny! This was one of the kids' first books of the year, and is a novel set with the Prince Edward IV of England (fathered by King Henry VIII), and a poor boy named Tom Canty, and the lookalike tykes change places for fun before things get out of hand for weeks on end. It's hilarious, fast-paced, and gives a great perspective on Tudor England, hierarchy of nobility, and the city of London. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron