Skip to main content

2013 Book List


Last year I had a good reading year. I didn't do a lot of sewing, a little bit of knitting, and almost no other creating besides the blog. I read a large majority of this list from 2012, and added quite a few more that I finished within the twelve months as well.
While I couldn't possibly add to an already bursting year in 2012, I had made, perhaps in July, a second book list for 2013. This was a fairly absurd idea, being as I was going to have an impossible list to get through at that rate, but I can't resist a good title. The books with the (*) behind it, means that was a book I wasn't able to read, but had on my list in 2012. Without further ado, my list for this year:

*Help, Thanks, Wow by Anne Lamott
*Some Assembly Required by Anne Lamott
* Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tripp
*Total Truth by Nancy Pearcy
*In The Basement of the Ivory Tower by Professor X (current read)
*When I Was a Child I Read Books by Marilynne Robinson
*State of Wonder by Ann Patchett *
*Bel Canto by Ann Patchett *
*Forgotten God by Francis Chan
*Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
*New Collected Poems by Wendell Berry
*Iscariot by Tosca Lee
*Imagine Childhood by Sarah Olmsted
*The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
*The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova
*The Lepine Girls of Mud City by Evelyn Earl Geer
*The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease
*The Three Junes by Julia Glass
*Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery*
*The Element by Sir Ken Robison*
*Bringing up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman
*The Gift of Imperfection by Brene Brown
*Daring by Brene Brown
*Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth
*Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst
*French Children Eat Anything by Karen Le Billon
*The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
*Tap-Dancing to Work by Carol J. Loomis
*Project-Based Homeschooling by Lori Pickert
*A Severe Mercy bySheldon Vanauken
*Leadership Education by Oliver De Mille
*Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoffer*
*At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon*
*Attributes of God: Volume 1 by A.W. Tozer*
*The Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans
*My Berlin Kitchen by Luisa Weiss

The Maybe Pile include:
*Attributes of God: Volume 2 by A.W. Tozer
*Leaving Church by Barbara Brown Taylor
*Blood, Bones, & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
*Nothing Daunted by Dorothy Wickenden
*The Hidden Europe by Francois Tapon
*This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz
*In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
*End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
*Every Last Cuckoo by Kate Maloy
*Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbary
*The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise by Julia Stuart

I have a 'maybe' pile because I want to give myself some room, and the top half are the ones I'm dying to read, the 'maybes', well, less so, but I'm still interested in. Those three at the top, yes, have been already read in 2013, so I've got a good start. I have 33 books left if I just do the first list, and that is completely manageable. I think I read about 40+ books last year. Like I said, I didn't do much else. That was how I spent my down-time, and I learned a lot, read some great stories, and discovered some new lovely writers.

What's on your list for 2013? Please share!

Comments

renee @ FIMBY said…
I've pinned this so I can remember to come back here when I'm needing a good book recommend.

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron