Skip to main content

2018: What Happened? What Didn't?

looking into 2019 like

Yes, I totally used this photo at the beginning of the year, too, but I love it. It represents looking forward, of course, at the year to come, but also a great reflection of what happened within a year that just passed. 

There is nothing special about New Years to me, aside from the fact that I have, at one time in my life, been a big List Person. As the kids grow up and our days get fuller, them going this way and that, it becomes imperative that I write down some sort of tangible activities we can do together (or I can do on my own!), and experiences I want to be intentional about getting to. Science says writing things down means they are more likely to happen.  Even if I only get to half my list-half is better than zero any day!

So, here's my 2018 list, and here's what actually happened

I tried to make an honest effort to be in more photos as opposed to being the one always taking them. I made Stefan do more selfies with me on date nights, and made him take some photos of the kids and I. By the end of the year he was doing it without me knowing it! I always get some with him in them, so...success!

I wanted to visit the Sunshine coast a bit more, and with a friend's invitation to join them and a few other families for camping, my wish was granted. We visited Sechelt and camped at a great spot, hiked around a bit, toured the cute little town, ate delicious farmer's market food, and had great campfire talks. Success! 

I have wanted to visit (and eat my way through) the Asian Night market ever since we moved here. I found a friend who also had never been and wanted to and...ta-da! Done! I was surprised it was more than just food. I found some really fun stocking stuffers for the kids here, too. Tip: go REALLY hungry and bring more cash (about $20 more) than you'd expect. 

I bought a better swimsuit: 3, in fact. Two bikinis for my girls' trips (one I like more than the other, surprise surprise) and then a third black one-piece that was the last one on the rack, my size exactly, and dirt cheap. Love those little gifts!

The kids and I got together with Ani's Science Games girls and we visited the Brittania Mine. Highly recommend, but it'd definitely be better with a group rather than touring it on your own as the activities they did with us all day were worth the cost. Bonus: it REALLY helped the girls in the Science Games this year as a lot of it was about geology. They won first place!

I went to the Shop Sweet Christmas Market, which I'd heard was the best. Sigh. Nothing beats Lincoln markets, people. Nothing. It was cute. It was fine. I won a giveaway which I totally scored at, but still, the market-sized hole in my heart has me longing for Love the Locals , etc. 

I took the kids to Ashfall Fossil Beds, Laura Ingalls Wilder homestead in De Smet, SD, and played at the Oregon Coast. Check, check, check. All wonderful. Except the kid whining in Oregon. That was legendary. Thank goodness the Rainier cherries were in season to cheer me up. (not joking)

I saw wild horses on our girls' trip to Pheonix, I watched a Wrinkle in Time and cried even though it didn't do the book justice (it can still be beautiful on its own), and I went skiing with the family. So much so that we geared up and got mountain passes! One of our favorite things from 2018. 

*****

What didn't happen? Well I totally dropped the ball on the Harry Potter party. I was HPed OUT. I just let the idea fade into the last chatper at Hogwarts. 

I did not even remotely think about doing a once-a-month cleanup of google drive. It's laughable. I keep it pretty tidy, but it could be better. I honestly don't even want to add this to this year's. Bah-humbug.

I didn't make a school (2017-2018) Instagram booklet, but I KNOW that if I made the effort, I'd be glad I did. Someone motivate me? And give me 4 extra hours?

I didn't get to snow-shoeing but I hope to this season!

I didn't make a Nebraska trip booklet, either. (See IG, above) I suck at doing these. My friends and family are really good at them. I just need to block a portion of time out for making them a reality that I can tangibly hold for years to come, but in the meantime I can't be bothered. Once again, I need some solid motivation for this. 

Want to know about my yearly lists? Check here for 2018, here for 2017 results, here for 2016 results, here for 2015. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron